Posted to dev@nutch.apache.org by Daniele Menozzi <me...@ngi.it> on 2005/09/16 18:50:11 UTC

Problems on Crawling

Hi all, I have questions regarding org.apache.nutch.tools.CrawlTool: I do
not have really understood what is the ralationship between
depth,segments,fetching..
Take for example the tutorial, I understand theese 2 steps:

	bin/nutch admin db -create
	bin/nutch inject db -dmozfile content.rdf.u8 -subset 3000

but, when I do this:

	bin/nutch generate db segments

what happens? I think that a dir called 'segments' id created, and inside
of it I can find the links I have previously injected.Ok.Next steps:

	bin/nutch fetch $s1
	bin/nutch updatedb db $s1

Ok, no problems here.
But now I cannot understood what happens with this command:

	bin/nutch generate db segments

it is the same command of above, but now I've not injected anything in the
DB, it only contais the pages I've previously fetched.
So, does it mean that when I generate a segment, it will automagically be
filled with links found in fetched pages? And where theese links are saved?
And who saves theese link?

Thank you so much, this work is really interesting!
	Menoz

--
		      Free Software Enthusiast
		 Debian Powered Linux User #332564

Re: Problems on Crawling

Posted by Daniele Menozzi <me...@ngi.it>.
On  11:44:00 17/Sep , Piotr Kosiorowski wrote:
> Yes - depth means in fact - number of interations of
> generate/fetch/update cycle.

ok, now it's clear :)

> nutch generate - will include already fetched pages in new segment for
> fetching after some time (I think default is 30 days and you can change
> it in config file). And if you deduplicate segments the old page would
> be removed from index.

ok, thank you for the explaination!!

> regards
> Piotr

regards
	Menoz

Re: Problems on Crawling

Posted by Piotr Kosiorowski <pk...@gmail.com>.

Re: Problems on Crawling

Posted by Daniele Menozzi <me...@ngi.it>.
On  19:33:57 16/Sep , Piotr Kosiorowski wrote:
> bin/nutch updatedb db $s1
> command updates WebDB with links you fetched in segment $s1.

ok, so the depth value is only used to stop the crawling at a certain
point, and proceed with the indexing, right?

But, another thing: how can I refresh old pages? What class do I have to
use?

Thank you :)
	Menoz

Re: Problems on Crawling

Posted by Piotr Kosiorowski <pk...@gmail.com>.
bin/nutch updatedb db $s1
command updates WebDB with links you fetched in segment $s1.
Regards
Piotr

Re: Problems on Crawling

Posted by Michael Ji <fj...@yahoo.com>.