Posted to user@struts.apache.org by bs...@psl.nmsu.edu on 2005/10/18 00:18:13 UTC

I am getting frustrated with LookupDispatchAction

Hi.  I am using struts 1.2.7. My struts-config-xml file has the following:

<action path="/mywizard1"
    		name="wizardForm"
            scope="session"
            type="edu.nmsu.psl.userwizard.AddPSLUserWizardAction"
            input="/step1.jsp"
            validate="false"
            parameter="method">
     		<forward name="next" path="/step2.jsp"/>
	</action>

my jsp has the following:

But I get the following error in tomcat:
javax.servlet.ServletException: Request[/mywizard1] does not contain handler parameter named 'method'.

Can someone save me from insanity?

Re: I am getting frustrated with LookupDispatchAction

Posted by ra...@tcs.com.
Have you extended LookUpDipatchAction your "ddPSLUserWizardAction" ??

Notice: The information contained in this e-mail message and/or attachments to it may contain confidential or privileged information.   If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, use, review, distribution, printing or copying of the information contained in this e-mail message and/or attachments to it are strictly prohibited.   If you have received this communication in error, please notify us by reply e-mail or telephone and immediately and permanently delete the message and any attachments.  Thank you

Re: I am getting frustrated with LookupDispatchAction

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ja...@wendysmoak.com>.
> From: <bs...@psl.nmsu.edu>
> my jsp has the following:
> key="button.next"/></html:submit>
>
> But I get the following error in tomcat:
> javax.servlet.ServletException: Request[/mywizard1] does not contain
> handler parameter named 'method'.
>
> Can someone save me from insanity?

No, but you can save yourself. :)  First, what HTML is that JSP snippet
generating?  For some reason, the request that was submitted did not include
a request parameter named 'method'.

Either the HTML isn't correct, or maybe that button wasn't actually clicked.
(Is there JavaScript involved?  Did you press enter in a text field instead
of clicking the button?)

--
Wendy Smoak

Re: I am getting frustrated with LookupDispatchAction

Posted by Laurie Harper <la...@holoweb.net>.
Those are two different things. 'parameter' is a standard attribute of
the 'action' element, which many of the standard action classes expect
(and can access via getParameter()). The 'set-property' element is a
means of passing arbitrary additional parameters to an action. The two
aren't interchangeable.

L.

Posted by Michael Jouravlev <jm...@gmail.com>.
On 10/19/05, Adam Hardy <ah...@cyberspaceroad.com> wrote:
> Michael Jouravlev on 19/10/05 00:44, wrote:
> > On 10/18/05, Adam Hardy <ah...@cyberspaceroad.com> wrote:
> >>Secondly, getKeyMethodMap() looks really clunky - is there no way this
> >>can be pushed into the struts-config.xml?
> >

> > It can be done, but if this to be defined inside existing structures
> > like <action>, then I would have to change Struts code. Another way is
> > to define it somewhere else like <component> instead of <action> or
> > just <action-events>, in this case you would need to include custom
> > ruleset object into web.xml. The latter would be easier because Struts
> > code would not be changed.
> >
> > I will think about moving map to config file, but frankly I do not
> > consider it a priority. Why you don't like it in the class file?
>
> Because it's just a strings that go in a map. It's more easily readable
> in a config file and it keeps them all in one place instead of having to
> open each action. Obviously that only counts when you are looking at a
> big project, but it does make an impact.

I did that, but it works only with new syntax, when you use
<component> instead of <action>. Having a separate XML element to
define an action mapping is easier, because it allows to mix both
<action> and <component> in one config file, and it does not require
changing the Struts code. All I needed is just to add a new rule set.
So, how about this:

<!-- Home page. Handles welcome menu, main menu and language selection -->
<component path = "/Home"
  view = "/mailreaderpages/home.jsp"
  type = "net.jspcontrols.mailreader.HomeAction">

  <!-- Input events (request keys for submit buttons) -->
  <event name = "DIALOG-EVENT-LOGON" handler = "onLogon"/>
  <event name = "DIALOG-EVENT-SIGNUP" handler = "onAccountSignup"/>
  <event name = "DIALOG-EVENT-ACCUPDATE" handler = "onAccountUpdate"/>
  <event name = "DIALOG-EVENT-SUBSCRIPTIONS" handler = "onSubscriptions"/>

  <!-- Transfer from one action to another, usually using redirection -->
  <transfer name = "subscriptions" path =
"/Subscriptions.do?DIALOG-EVENT-INIT"/>

  <!-- Render a view, usually by forwarding to a JSP page -->
  <render name = "failure" path = "/mailreaderpages/error.jsp" />
</component>

> However I just thought of a better idea. Impose a rule that the name of
> the Action method should be prefixed by the prefix and that should be
> used as the name of each submit button. If the map is initialised at
> construction by reflection, it would make it all more intuitive and
> easier to code, with the added advantage that you would have one less
> place where the programmer would make a mistake.

I'd rather not do that. First, I don't want to introduce any magic
into Java code. Also, there is a better way of achieving that without
magic (umm, with less magic if you want) using annotations, like Tim
Fennel did in Stripes:

@UrlBinding("/quickstart/Calculator.action")
public class CalculatorActionBean implements ActionBean {
    @HandlesEvent("Addition") @DefaultHandler
    public Resolution addNumbers() {
        return new ForwardResolution("/quickstart/index.jsp");
    }
}

So, I don't want to redo what is already done by some ;-) But, Tim
strives to minimize XML configuration, while your first desire was to
move mapping configuration from action to XML, so I guess you would
like what I have implemented ;-)

Another choice would be to encode handler methods' names directly into
request keys, and to process submits with something like this:

http://issues.apache.org/bugzilla/attachment.cgi?id=15762

See javadoc comments for usage. I think this is something that could
find its place among Struts core actions.

What do you think? One more thing: you have to either define mapping
in xml file, or in an action, but not in both places (internally, I
check map variable for null). Is this OK or you want to refine XML
mapping in Java code?

Michael.

Re: I am getting frustrated with LookupDispatchAction

Posted by Adam Hardy <ah...@cyberspaceroad.com>.
Michael Jouravlev on 19/10/05 00:44, wrote:
> On 10/18/05, Adam Hardy <ah...@cyberspaceroad.com> wrote:
>>Secondly, getKeyMethodMap() looks really clunky - is there no way this
>>can be pushed into the struts-config.xml?
>

> It can be done, but if this to be defined inside existing structures
> like <action>, then I would have to change Struts code. Another way is
> to define it somewhere else like <component> instead of <action> or
> just <action-events>, in this case you would need to include custom
> ruleset object into web.xml. The latter would be easier because Struts
> code would not be changed.
>
> I will think about moving map to config file, but frankly I do not
> consider it a priority. Why you don't like it in the class file?

Because it's just a strings that go in a map. It's more easily readable
in a config file and it keeps them all in one place instead of having to
open each action. Obviously that only counts when you are looking at a
big project, but it does make an impact.

However I just thought of a better idea. Impose a rule that the name of
the Action method should be prefixed by the prefix and that should be
used as the name of each submit button. If the map is initialised at
construction by reflection, it would make it all more intuitive and
easier to code, with the added advantage that you would have one less
place where the programmer would make a mistake.

Adam

Re: I am getting frustrated with LookupDispatchAction

Posted by Michael Jouravlev <jm...@gmail.com>.
On 10/18/05, Adam Hardy <ah...@cyberspaceroad.com> wrote:
> Michael,
>
> I like your code alot but a couple of things prevent me from purloining
> it for my own purposes:
>
> firstly, I like to allocate my base class to sort out  user, locale,
> msgKeys, and messages objects for use in the subclass. It doesn't seem
> to be possible to sandwich a subclass in-between SelectAction and the
> child class to do this, isn't that so?

I guess I have to make an utility class out of it, so it could be
called from any Action.execute(). I will do that.

> Secondly, getKeyMethodMap() looks really clunky - is there no way this
> can be pushed into the struts-config.xml?

It can be done, but if this to be defined inside existing structures
like <action>, then I would have to change Struts code. Another way is
to define it somewhere else like <component> instead of <action> or
just <action-events>, in this case you would need to include custom
ruleset object into web.xml. The latter would be easier because Struts
code would not be changed.

I will think about moving map to config file, but frankly I do not
consider it a priority. Why you don't like it in the class file? What
benefit do you expect from moving it to config file? YOu want to be
able to remap handlers? BTW, you can purloin ;) from another link that
I posted, that version does not use map at all and is _very_ compact.

Michael.

Re: I am getting frustrated with LookupDispatchAction

Posted by Adam Hardy <ah...@cyberspaceroad.com>.
Michael,

Posted by Michael Jouravlev <jm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Jouravlev <jm...@gmail.com>.
On 10/17/05, bsimonin@psl.nmsu.edu <bs...@psl.nmsu.edu> wrote:
> Hi.  I am using struts 1.2.7. My struts-config-xml file has the following:
>
> <action path="/mywizard1"
>                 name="wizardForm"
>             scope="session"
>             type="edu.nmsu.psl.userwizard.AddPSLUserWizardAction"
>             input="/step1.jsp"
>             validate="false"
>             parameter="method">
>                 <forward name="next" path="/step2.jsp"/>
>         </action>
>
> my jsp has the following:
>
> But I get the following error in tomcat:
> javax.servlet.ServletException: Request[/mywizard1] does not contain handler parameter named 'method'.
>
> Can someone save me from insanity?

Try this instead: http://struts.sourceforge.net/strutsdialogs/selectaction.html
You do not have to use Struts tags with it, just HTML. Works with
buttons, links and images. Consider it an improved
LookupDispatchAction.

The library also allows you to build a robust wizard component.

--
Struts Dialogs
http://struts.sourceforge.net/strutsdialogs

RE: I am getting frustrated with LookupDispatchAction

Posted by bs...@psl.nmsu.edu.
Hey everyone.

Thanks for the input on my problems with my LookupDispatchAction.

I was able to get the wizard steps working using the example on page 201 of the book:
Jakarta Struts Cookbook.

Now I am off to do the business logic.  Again, thanks for all the help.

--Brad

Posted by Kishore Senji <ki...@gmail.com>.
I guess you don't have a property for "button.next" defined in your
MessageResources. Please make sure you have defined that property in the
resources.

On 10/17/05, bsimonin@psl.nmsu.edu <bs...@psl.nmsu.edu> wrote:

> Hi. I am using struts 1.2.7. My struts-config-xml file has the following:
>
> <action path="/mywizard1"
> name="wizardForm"
> scope="session"
> type="edu.nmsu.psl.userwizard.AddPSLUserWizardAction"
> input="/step1.jsp"
> validate="false"
> parameter="method">
> <forward name="next" path="/step2.jsp"/>
> </action>
>
> my jsp has the following:
> "/></html:submit>
>
> But I get the following error in tomcat:
> javax.servlet.ServletException: Request[/mywizard1] does not contain
> handler parameter named 'method'.
>
> Can someone save me from insanity?

Re: I am getting frustrated with LookupDispatchAction

Posted by Su...@Keane.com.
Did you implement the getKeyMethodMap() method in the subclass of
LookupDispatchAction.

Sunil

<bs...@psl.nmsu.edu>
10/18/2005 03:48 AM
Please respond to
"Struts Users Mailing List" <us...@struts.apache.org>

<us...@struts.apache.org>
cc

Posted by Paul Benedict <pa...@yahoo.com>.
> Can someone save me from insanity?

Questionable...

> But I get the following error in tomcat:
> javax.servlet.ServletException: Request[/mywizard1]
> does not contain handler parameter named 'method'.

Do you have a method named 'method'? It should look
like the typical Struts execute method.

Paul