Posted to hdfs-user@hadoop.apache.org by Jaco Joubert <jd...@gmail.com> on 2012/10/25 16:43:55 UTC

HDFS BackupNode support in 1.0.3

Hi,

I installed version 1.0.3 of Hadoop and I'm interested in running the
BackupNode.
The user guide explains the BackupNode and how to configure / start it:
http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/r1.0.3/hdfs_user_guide.html#Backup+Node
I'm having difficulty starting the BackupNode and I assume that either the
documentation is out-of-synch, or the BackupNode is not really supported in
1.0.3.  I say this because:

   1. The documented command to start the BackupNode doesn't exist:
   bin/hdfs namenode -checkpoint
   (the "hdfs" script doesn't exist at all)

   2. I also tried the "bin/hadoop namenode" command, but it only supports
   these arguments:
   Usage: java NameNode [-format] | [-upgrade] | [-rollback] | [-finalize]
   | [-importCheckpoint]

Am I doing something wrong, or is the BackupNode not supported in 1.0.3
(and therefore the documentation incorrect)?

Regards,
Jaco

Re: HDFS BackupNode support in 1.0.3

Posted by Jaco Joubert <jd...@gmail.com>.