Posted to general@gump.apache.org by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> on 2004/03/11 10:14:22 UTC

Trying to get Gumpy running ...

Hi,

I thought I'd start small and used

$ python2 ./gump/integrate.py -w ../bodewig.xml bootstrap-ant

ERROR:gump:Failed to find environment variable [MAVEN_HOME]
WARN:gump:Command failed. [javac -help ]. ExitCode: 2
ERROR:gump:Failed to detect [javac]
WARN:gump:Command failed. [java com.sun.tools.javac.Main -help ]. ExitCode: 1
ERROR:gump:Failed to detect [java com.sun.tools.javac.Main]
WARN:gump:Command failed. [ruper -version ]. ExitCode: 127
ERROR:gump:Failed to detect [ruper]
WARN:gump:Workspace version [0.3] below preferred [0.4]
INFO:gump:Starting sync  from [/home/bodewig/dev/gump/cvs/ant]
INFO:gump:        target dir [/home/bodewig/dev/gump/ant]
INFO:gump:Document run using [<gump.document.forrest.ForrestDocumenter instance at 0x890ace4>]
INFO:gump:Starting sync  from [/home/bodewig/ASF/gump/gump/template/forrest]
INFO:gump:        target dir [/home/bodewig/dev/gump/forrest]
INFO:gump:Document run using [<gump.document.text.TextDocumenter instance at 0xb42ec54>]

and here it is sitting since more than 16 CPU minutes.  Any ideas?

I'll let it run a little longer, I can still work on my machine even
though python is using up 99% of the CPU.

Stefan

Re: Trying to get Gumpy running ...

Posted by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com>.
You know, irregardless of how mature (or otherwise) Gumpy is in
integrate.py, the other scripts -- and the general commandline usage -- are
terribly immature. Basically, with me not having the ability to do any
worthwhile local runs (behind a modem) I've really just never bothered. [Ok,
I've also been fighting too many maintenance issues, like dodgy characters,
to get to it.]

Gump has all the pieces to do all the things it should (and that Traditional
supported) they just aren't wired that way yet. [They are so close, and I
took another quick whack last week, just not completely there.]:

1) We have GumpRun with lists of (1) 'the specified projects' [if not in
build order], (2) 'the full build sequence for those projects', (3) the
modules containing those projects (4) the sequence or modules.

2) We have GumpRunOptions with switches to control paths we take.

3) We have command line processing that  (now) returns a GumpRunOptions
object.

    --verbose|--debug
    --quick (a hack to say 'do list not sequence','use cached')

Basically, we need to flesh out the commandline options and what each should
do.
I think we need a --cache to allow cached descriptors. I think we need
a --text (to ignore forrest, even if it is available), and so on. We
probably ought create a wiki page for command line options.

Anybody interested in taking this on? It'd be a big help.

regards,

Adam

Re: Trying to get Gumpy running ...

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 11 Mar 2004, Adam R. B. Jack <aj...@trysybase.com> wrote:

> Does it make you feel better that this part ought not take much
> longer when you do the whole thing? ;-)

I realized that when I did something more complex.  The overhead og
Gumpy over the pure build time is a constant 30 minutes on my box.

The other issue I've found quite inconvenient was that integrate
synced away quite a few directories.  I wanted to do the equivalent of
./build.sh some-project in "traditional" Gump after changing some
project descriptors.  This would simply rebuild some-project in
place.  If I do the same with integrate, it will also rebuild all
project that some-project depends upon.  What's even worse, it also
synced jakarta-commons deleting all the prebuilt commons components
that some-project did not depend upon.

I guess that I've just used the wrong tool here and should have used
build.py instead of integrate.py.  The again I'm not sure whether
build.py would have picked up my descriptor changes.

Is there a Python equivalent of gen.sh merge step?  I.e. regenerate
the working data set from all Gump descriptors but don't do anything
else?

Posted by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com>.

> and here it is sitting since more than 16 CPU minutes.  Any ideas?
>
> I'll let it run a little longer, I can still work on my machine even
> though python is using up 99% of the CPU.

Basically the forrest documentation generation is somewhat exhaustive & then
the forrest run itself is intensive. The Stats and XRef sections aren't
optimised to the single project run you did, they are still slicing/dicing
the whole workspace. I need to optimise this, I've just not gotten around to
it.

Does it make you feel better that this part ought not take much longer when
you do the whole thing? ;-)

regards

Adam

Re: Trying to get Gumpy running ...

Posted by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com>.
> On Thu, 11 Mar 2004, Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > and here it is sitting since more than 16 CPU minutes.  Any ideas?
>
> update, it finished about ten minutes later - all in all taking more
> than half an hour.  Is this to be expected?  The build of
> bootstrap-ant took 58 seconds according to the log.

We really need to get the GUI working again, the forrest output is really
only appropriate for nightly runs.

Adam

Re: Trying to get Gumpy running ...

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 11 Mar 2004, Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> wrote:

> and here it is sitting since more than 16 CPU minutes.  Any ideas?

update, it finished about ten minutes later - all in all taking more
than half an hour.  Is this to be expected?  The build of
bootstrap-ant took 58 seconds according to the log.

Cheers

        Stefan