Posted to dev@rya.apache.org by "Aaron D. Mihalik" <aa...@gmail.com> on 2016/09/09 02:01:18 UTC

[VOTE] Release Rya (Incubating) version 3.2.10

I am pleased to be calling this vote for the source release of Apache Rya
(Incubating), version 3.2.10.

The source zip, including signatures, digests, etc. can be found at:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacherya-1001/org/apache/rya/rya-project/3.2.10/

The Git tag is v3.2.10
The Git commit ID is 16196b4c658062545964602835cb5fbd2870e578
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-rya.git;a=commit;h=16196b4c658062545964602835cb5fbd2870e578

Checksums of rya-project-3.2.10-source-release.zip:
SHA1: dee4a5e4f8e74c4de614d02c7b17a5e0db132649
MD5: df4a47ae1232725bc95450f5e49de95c

https://people.apache.org/keys/committer/mihalik.asc

Issues that were closed/resolved for this release are here:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?version=12334209&styleName=Html&projectId=12319020

The vote will be open for 72 hours.
Please download the release candidate and evaluate the necessary items
including checking hashes, signatures, build from source, and test.  Then
please vote:

[ ] +1 Release this package as rya-project-3.2.10
[ ] +0 no opinion
[ ] -1 Do not release this package because because...

Re: [VOTE] Release Rya (Incubating) version 3.2.10

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.
Great, glad it's helpful. Also, thanks for taking this on. The first
release is always the hardest, and I didn't do a good job commending you
on stepping up :)

Aaron D. Mihalik wrote:
> Thanks Josh!  This list is great.
>
> I'll add the RC-X to the "Vote" email for the next RC.  I also updated the
> release docs to include that note.
>
> I added these tasks to track:
>
> (Blocker) RYA-177 - Review License on Rya Dependencies
> RYA-178 Review RAT Exclusions
> RYA-179 - Review License / Copyright notices on Rya Artifacts
> RYA-180 - Review Licensing of Shaded/War'd Rya Artifacts
> RYA-182 - Review SCM Tag in Parent POM
>
> Is RYA-180 subsumed by RYA-177?  If we verify that all of the Rya
> Dependencies are not "Category X", are there additional concerns about what
> we war/shade up?

No, sadly :). The LICENSE and NOTICE files you have at the top-level of
the source-release are "easy" right now because you do not bundle any
other code than just "Apache Rya (incubating)". Therefore, you only have
to deal with Rya's licensing (which is simple).

When you start creating artifacts that contain other artifacts, you must
update LICENSE and NOTICE appropriately (in META-INF/ in JARs/WARs). A
tl;dr is that, for every dependency you bundle, you must include it's
license in the LICENSE file and propagate any relevant information from
their NOTICE file (e.g. copyright/attribution statements) into your
NOTICE file. There are lots of good write-ups coming out of other ASF
projects of late which can help distill this.

I would recommend we just make a note to deal with this post-3.2.10. As
an incubator project, you get a pass on doing this all 100% correct;
however, the incompatible licensing is pretty heinous (so I'm treating
these separately). :)

Posted by "Meier, Caleb" <Ca...@parsons.com>.
-1 (non-binding)

Mongo Tests are failing ( getting the following Exception for MongoDBQueryEngineTest and MongoDBRyaDAOTest
on my CentOS vm :

java.io.IOException: Could not start process: <EOF>
	at de.flapdoodle.embed.mongo.AbstractMongoProcess.onAfterProcessStart(AbstractMongoProcess.java:79)
	at de.flapdoodle.embed.process.runtime.AbstractProcess.<init>(AbstractProcess.java:114)
	at de.flapdoodle.embed.mongo.AbstractMongoProcess.<init>(AbstractMongoProcess.java:53)
	at de.flapdoodle.embed.mongo.MongodProcess.<init>(MongodProcess.java:50)
	at de.flapdoodle.embed.mongo.MongodExecutable.start(MongodExecutable.java:44)
	at de.flapdoodle.embed.mongo.MongodExecutable.start(MongodExecutable.java:34)
	at de.flapdoodle.embed.process.runtime.Executable.start(Executable.java:101)
	at de.flapdoodle.embed.mongo.tests.MongodForTestsFactory.<init>(MongodForTestsFactory.java:86)
	at de.flapdoodle.embed.mongo.tests.MongodForTestsFactory.with(MongodForTestsFactory.java:57)
	at mvm.rya.mongodb.MongoDBQueryEngineTest.setUp(MongoDBQueryEngineTest.java:58)

Posted by David Lotts <dl...@gmail.com>.
Good news: I was able to create a 3rd party dependency license report for
Rya from the license maven plugin.
<http://www.mojohaus.org/license-maven-plugin/>
Bad news:  I'm going to send results in another thread in a few minutes.

david.

Re: [VOTE] Release Rya (Incubating) version 3.2.10

Posted by David Lotts <dl...@gmail.com>.
Good find.

http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-project-info-reports-plugin/dependencies-mojo.html

Posted by "Chilton, Kevin" <Ke...@parsons.com>.
http://www.mojohaus.org/license-maven-plugin/

Posted by David Lotts <dl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Aaron D. Mihalik" <aa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Lotts <dl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Aaron D. Mihalik" <aa...@gmail.com>.
Mongo test: I'll put in Eric's fix into the next RC.  for now, look for a
folder like /tmp/hadoop-amihalik and remove it between runs.

Eric's fix is here: https://github.com/apache/incubator-rya/pull/89

Posted by "Meier, Caleb" <Ca...@parsons.com>.

Posted by David Lotts <dl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Aaron D. Mihalik" <aa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.

Posted by Adina Crainiceanu <ad...@usna.edu>.
-1 because some test are failing and other issues

I was able to build from source. Some test on Mongo took so long that I had
to abort the build, so I ended up building with skipTests flag.
Hashes are OK. I did not have time to check more.

Several easy things to fix:

1) Release artifacts should be staged at
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/rya/...  (Josh said so
already)
2) The artifacts names should contain "incubating" - something like
rya-3.2.10-incubating-source-release...
3) DISCLAIMER  - we should have a DISCLAIMER file  with the following
content:
Apache Rya is an effort undergoing incubation at The Apache Software
Foundation (ASF), sponsored by the Apache Incubator PMC. Incubation is
required of all newly accepted projects until a further review indicates
that the infrastructure, communications, and decision making process have
stabilized in a manner consistent with other successful ASF projects. While
incubation status is not necessarily a reflection of the completeness or
stability of the code, it does indicate that the project has yet to be
fully endorsed by the ASF.
4) KEYS file with the release manager's keys and maybe other committers'
too can typically be found at
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/rya/KEYS
5) LICENSE issues - already discussed

Thank you all for working on this.
Adina

--
Dr. Adina Crainiceanu
Associate Professor, Computer Science Department

Re: [VOTE] Release Rya (Incubating) version 3.2.10

Posted by "Aaron D. Mihalik" <aa...@gmail.com>.
All,

I haven't received any votes on the release, so let's keep this vote open
until Wednesday at 10pm EDT.

Please reach out if you have any questions about downloading the artifacts,
building the source, and testing Rya.  All of the Rya Release process
documentation are currently under development, so any questions the dev
list has, or any issues people have will be incorporated into the
documentation.

--Aaron

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Aaron D. Mihalik" <aa...@gmail.com>.