Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by ram <ra...@netcore.co.in> on 2007/06/21 16:31:50 UTC

sa-update for multiple servers

I have been using SA 3.1.5 with RDJ for my updates all this while.
Now I wish to SA 3.2 with  sa-update instead of RDJ

I have around 20 servers running spamassassin for our clients. Till now
I have been pulling rules from SARE on one machine into a http area and
then all other machines pull from there

Because I didnt want all my servers connecting simultaneously to SARE
and get the AUTOBAN , especially since some servers are behind the same
gateway

Do I need to do the same for sa-update too. How can I do this ? Or
should all servers simply do a sa-update

Thanks
Ram

Re: sa-update for multiple servers

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Jun 21, 2007 at 08:01:50PM +0530, ram wrote:
> Do I need to do the same for sa-update too. How can I do this ? Or
> should all servers simply do a sa-update

IMO, you can either a) create your own internal channel and everyone
can use that, or b) just run using the public channels.

It really depends what you want to do.  I'd imagine that for 20 machines it
doesn't matter, but if you had a large number of machines, the channel
providers would prefer you to download their data and make it available
internally.

--
Randomly Selected Tagline:
"Come on Marc, let's call the help desk and ask for some information about

Re: sa-update for multiple servers

Posted by "Daryl C. W. O'Shea" <sp...@dostech.ca>.
ram wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-06-21 at 17:31 +0000, Duane Hill wrote:

>>> If you're daring, you can try an NFS mount as well.  Although, with
>>> either of these (rsync or nfs), doesn't SA need to be restarted or at
>>> least HUPed to read the new rules files?
>> Yes. Otherwise, spamd would still be using the previously loaded rules.
>>
>> I'm not sure if the OP is using sa-compile or not. I would assume the
>> compiled rule could be transfered over to other servers as well. Thus,
>> avoiding the running of sa-compile on every server used. Not sure, though.
>> I only have two servers and just run everything separately myself.
>

> Hi I am using Spamassassin as a module in MailScanner
> If I dont risk getting blacklisted for too many queries , I would run
> sa-update on all servers. Anyway I think I have to restart MailScanner
> on update

Neither Theo or I have a problem with you running sa-update on 20
machines, so if you're only using the updates.spamassassin.org channel
or any of the sa-update.dostech.net channels, have at it.

Daryl

Re: sa-update for multiple servers

Posted by ram <ra...@netcore.co.in>.

Posted by Duane Hill <d....@yournetplus.com>.

Posted by Jason Frisvold <xe...@gmail.com>.

--
Jason 'XenoPhage' Frisvold
XenoPhage0@gmail.com

Re: sa-update for multiple servers

Posted by "Daryl C. W. O'Shea" <sp...@dostech.ca>.

RE: Spam getting thru

Posted by Leonardo Magallon <lm...@itsinc.com>.
Symantec Mail Security replaced Message Body with this text message.  The original text contained prohibited content and was quarantined.

ID:SERVER4::SYQ80c801f5

RE: Spam getting thru

Posted by Leonardo Magallon <lm...@itsinc.com>.
Symantec Mail Security replaced Message Body with this text message.
The original text contained prohibited content and was quarantined.

ID:SERVER4::SYQ7e40e8fe

RE: Spam getting thru

Posted by Leonardo Magallon <lm...@itsinc.com>.
Symantec Mail Security replaced Message Body with this text message.  The original text contained prohibited content and was quarantined.

ID:SERVER4::SYQ7e80bbc7

Re: Spam getting thru

Posted by ram <ra...@netcore.co.in>.
On Thu, 2007-06-21 at 09:47 -0500, Leonardo Magallon wrote:
> Hi,
>   My server is having a problem with spamd using a lot of resources( spamd
> startup script is using -m 5 ) and a lot of spam is getting thru.   The
> installation is new using CentOS 5, spamassasin 3.1.8 and I am using
> RulesDuJour ( I deleted the blacklist.cf and blacklist related rules to
> alleviate load).
>
> Sometimes the spam doesn't even get the Spam assassin rules as the following
> email header shows:

> From: "Sales" <sa...@silverfour.com>
> To: "Grazini Valentina" <we...@mydomain.com>
> Subject: Queens of the Stone Age: Rockin' Rulers
> Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 13:54:49 +0000
>

> Is this behavior correct?

I think this should be in the FAQ. Follow the standard recommendations

* Use RBL's at the MTA to reject the mail ( we use zen.spamhaus and
DSBL ) That saves a *LOT* of processing

* Use a local caching DNS

* Check valid recipient , valid sender domain etc at the MTA

* if using SPF do it at the MTA

* If still it doesnt work get better hardware, Buying 2GB ram is much
cheaper than wasting 2hrs every day trying to deal with load IMHO

Thanks
Ram

Also when posting to a list do not start off by replying to an unrelated
thread

Spam getting thru

From: "Sales" <sa...@silverfour.com>
To: "Grazini Valentina" <we...@mydomain.com>