Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by Kurt Wiseman <ku...@bea.com> on 2000/06/14 23:22:45 UTC

compatibility between xalan and xerces?

I heard a rumor that trying to use the latest xerces and xalan together
isn't possible?

Is this just a vicious rumor or are there known "supported" combinations?

Thanks,
Kurt

Xerces Bug? Supplemental

Posted by Patrick Durusau <pd...@emory.edu>.
Hello,

Sorry for the obvious omission of critical information in my first post!

Cocoon: ver. 1.7.4

Xerces: xerces_1_0_3.jar

Java: 1.2.2 Solaris VM (build Solaris_JDK_1.2.2_05a)

OS: Solaris 2.7

(The example xml files with xsl stylesheets work.)

Thanks!

Patrick

--
Patrick Durusau
Director of Research and Development

Xerces Bug?

Posted by Patrick Durusau <pd...@emory.edu>.
Hello,

I am trying to use Cocoon to produce HTML output from a file marked up using the
TEIxLite DTD.

I get the following error message:

*****Error Message*****

org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: White space is required before the attribute
default in the declaration of attribute "prev" for element "table".
              at java.lang.Throwable.fillInStackTrace(Native Method)
              at java.lang.Throwable.fillInStackTrace(Compiled Code)
              at java.lang.Throwable.(Compiled Code)
              at java.lang.Exception.(Compiled Code)
              at org.xml.sax.SAXException.(SAXException.java:78)
              at
org.apache.cocoon.parser.AbstractParser.fatalError(AbstractParser.java:105)
              at
org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLParser.reportError(XMLParser.java:1347)
              at
org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLDTDScanner.reportFatalXMLError(XMLDTDScanner.java:690)

              at org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLDTDScanner.abortMarkup(Compiled
Code)
              at
org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLDTDScanner.scanAttlistDecl(Compiled Code)
              at org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLDTDScanner.scanDecls(Compiled
Code)
              at
org.apache.xerces.validators.dtd.DTDValidator.scanDoctypeDecl(DTDValidator.java:454)

              at
org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLParser.scanDoctypeDecl(XMLParser.java:2102)
              at
org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLDocumentScanner$PrologDispatcher.dispatch(Compiled
Code)
              at
org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLDocumentScanner.parseSome(Compiled Code)
              at org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLParser.parse(XMLParser.java:1208)

              at
org.apache.cocoon.parser.XercesParser.parse(XercesParser.java:84)
              at
org.apache.cocoon.parser.AbstractParser.parse(AbstractParser.java:83)
              at
org.apache.cocoon.producer.ProducerFromFile.getDocument(ProducerFromFile.java:78)

              at org.apache.cocoon.Engine.handle(Compiled Code)
              at org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.handleRequest(Compiled
Code)
              at
              at
org.apache.tomcat.service.http.HttpConnectionHandler.processConnection(Compiled
Code)
              at org.apache.tomcat.service.TcpConnectionThread.run(Compiled Code)

              at java.lang.Thread.run(Compiled Code)

*****End error message*****

The relevant portion of the DTD reads:

<!ELEMENT table
 ((head | index | interp | interpGrp | lb | milestone | pb
 | gap | anchor)*, (row, (index | interp | interpGrp | lb
 | milestone | pb | gap | anchor)*)+) >

<!ATTLIST table
 ana IDREFS #IMPLIED
 corresp IDREFS #IMPLIED
 next IDREF #IMPLIED
 prev IDREF #IMPLIED
 id ID #IMPLIED
 n CDATA #IMPLIED
 lang IDREF #IMPLIED
 rend CDATA #IMPLIED
 rows NMTOKEN #IMPLIED
 cols NMTOKEN #IMPLIED
 TEIform CDATA "table" >

You can see the entire DTD and the stylesheets I am using at:

http://users.ox.ac.uk/~rahtz/tei/

I contacted Sebastian Rahtz (author of the stylesheets and all around great
contributor to all things XML) and he said he had seen the error before but not
with any other parser.

I can duplicate this error with Rahtz's stylesheets and a 12K (approximate) test
file that I constructed if that would be helpful.

Suggestions, comments?

Many thanks! I really need to be able to use the TEIxLite DTD for a journals
project.

Patrick

Re: compatibility between xalan and xerces?

Posted by Mike Pogue <mp...@apache.org>.
And, we're working with the Xalan folks, to try to stay closer together
in the future...

Mike

Posted by Kurt Wiseman <ku...@bea.com>.
If there are later combos that work I'd love to know.

Also, is there a timeframe for getting the two back in sync?  When is xalan
1.1.x? expected to be available?

Thanks,
Kurt

Posted by Christopher Elkins <ce...@scardini.com>.

--
Christopher Elkins

Re: compatibility between xalan and xerces?

Posted by Andy Clark <an...@apache.org>.
Kurt Wiseman wrote:
> I heard a rumor that trying to use the latest xerces and xalan together
> isn't possible?
>
> Is this just a vicious rumor or are there known "supported" combinations?

As a general rule, always use the Xerces JAR file that is packaged
and shipped with the version of Xalan that you are using. Because
Xalan needs special hooks for performance, it is only guaranteed
to work with specific versions of Xerces -- which is why it is
included in the ZIP file for convenience.

--
Andy Clark * IBM, JTC - Silicon Valley * andyc@apache.org