Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Geoffrey Plitt <ge...@gweb.org> on 2006/11/23 01:33:11 UTC

On-Demand Checkout?

Hello,

I'm the guy that suggested the non-recursive switch (-N) which several
subversion commands support. I'd like to suggest a new switch that I think
will be much more useful.

This switch could be called "On-Demand" or "Structure-Only" or "Folders
Only". Essentially, it does a checkout, building the working copy's folder
structure and .svn folders correctly, but simply doesn't download the files
for those folders. It's as if a full checkout was performed, and then the
content files were all deleted, but the folder structure of the entire tree
remained intact.

This is very useful for large trees; the whol repo can be checked out, and
then if you want to get the contents of a particular folder, you just do
"SVN UP" in that folder, and it will grab the missing files.

I think this would be much more useful than the existing "-N" switch. What
do you guys think? Any possibility of this getting implemented? I got really
lucky way back when the -N switch was implemented, because you guys
implemented it in less than a week! What are the chances of this happening
again?

Please copy your replies to geoff@gweb.org

-G

Re: On-Demand Checkout?

Posted by David Anderson <da...@natulte.net>.
Hi,

Your proposal is actually a subset of something that kfogel has
started implementing on a feature branch: the so-called
'incomplete-directories' feature. Basically, the working copy API
would let you set for each directory a depth parameter, indicating
whether the content should be retrieved or not. `svn checkout -N`
would then create an incomplete working copy using this API, and
enforce the facts like "svn update doesn't pull in all the repos".

While the projected UI is slightly different to what you propose, it
is essentially all there. The API would be much more flexible however
(it's been proposed that, in the long run, the UI for manipulating
this working copy depth could become a p4-style viewspec).

- Dave