Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com> on 2005/07/08 21:54:00 UTC

TriFork/CORBA meeting minutes

A kickoff phone call meeting occured between TriFork and a few PMC
members.

July 8th 2005, 4:00pm GMT

Attending:

Kresten Krab Thorup - TriFork
David Blevins
Alan Cabrera
Jeff Genender
David Jenks
Jacek Laskowski - had to leave early
Geir Magnusson
Aaron Mulder
Dain Sundstrom

Kresten explained some of the architectural bits of the TriFork CORBA
server.  There is a CORBA core and on top of it is the RMI/IIOP bridge.
They use CORBA interceptors and some interesting code for sockets.  The
sockets code is like Tomcat's connectors.  TriFork currently uses JacORB
to compile IDL.

Integration work w/ OpenEJB would use existing standard OMG CORBA
interfaces with the exception of the SSL code, where the OMG spec is
deficient.  In this case a generic interface will be provided to make
the code portable across different CORBA implementations.

There was a discussion on how OpenEJB and Trifork handles the TX aspect
of interop.  David Jenks mentioned that we don't currently support TX
interop nor do we have a JTS TM, and that we would like to support
interop but not necessarily JTS.  Kresten mentioned that JTS isn't quite
adapted to support j2ca 1.5 TX inflow and that it would probably be
plausible to wrap JTS around JTA although they currently do the reverse.

The stages of work that were discussed were:

stage 1: Extricate the CORBA server from the TriFork server.  This is
what will be submitted for Geronimo incubation.  Kresten will be on
vacation but he thinks that this will be ready in August.

stage 2: Spruce up the code, e.g.

 - integrate OpenEJB code
 - add javadoc comments
 - add documentation
 - put in a keystore server
 - spruce up I/O code (maybe use ActiveIO)

stage 3: get ready to graduate!

The idea of stage 2 is to have raw code put into the incubator where
Kresten and the community can work together.

The group recommended that the CORBA project be incubated in Geronimo
with the goal that it become a sub-project of Geronimo.

I'm sure I left out some interesting bits.  Please feel free to fill in
the gaps.

Regards,
Alan

Re: TriFork/CORBA meeting minutes

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <jl...@apache.org>.
Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
> A kickoff phone call meeting occured between TriFork and a few PMC members.
> July 8th 2005, 4:00pm GMT

Thanks Alan for the minutes. I wish I had been longer, but had to leave.
  It was my pleasure to hear you all. What a fun to hear you after so
much time working together offline. My wife would have killed me if I
had been longer - the dinner was fabolous! I remember I left when Aaron
called in. I wonder how long I should have stayed to have a chance to
talk to others.   They were late, weren't they? ;)

Anyway, I'd propose that we need to get in habit to make CCs often. It's
such a fun to hear instead of read! ;)

> Alan

Jacek

Re: TriFork/CORBA meeting minutes

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
I know that a few people are interested in solving this using ActiveIO.
Hiram?

Regards,
Alan