Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Raj Saini <ra...@gmail.com> on 2010/04/15 22:21:44 UTC

OSGi based OFBiz framework

Hi,

I have been working on OSGi and OFBiz integration for a while. I could
successfully, run the OFBiz framework (entity engine and service engine)
as OSGi services. With this integration it is possible to run Framework
only OFBiz and use the OFBiz service engine for non form widget
applications (e.g. GWT, JSF etc). This should be interesting for people
wanting to use the service engine and entity engine.

For my experiment I have  Eclipse RAP (http://www.eclipse.org/rap) for
presentation layer and ported the part of Example application. My RAP
example application is using OFBiz entity engine to fetch some of the
data and service engine to create and update the examples.

I have uploaded the installable bundle at SF and it is available at
https://sourceforge.net/projects/ofbiz-osgi/files/osgi-ofbiz.tar.bz2/download

Requirements:

Platform - Current distribution works only on Linux (x86_64) systems.
This restriction is due to the executable including in the distribution.
It should be possible to run it using java -jar command but it will need
some configuration which is not ready yet.

Database - PostgreSQL DB server with database named 'ofbiz' and owned by
user 'ofbiz' and password 'ofbiz'.  It is possible to use other
databases but there are not JDBC driver bundles yet. Database server
must be running on localhost. It is possible to use the server running
on other hosts but it will need the change in entityengine.xml.

Demo data - OFBiz demo data loaded in the database as I am using example
and other related entities in the demo application.

Install & Run:

1. Extract the tar achieve on your hard disk.
2. Change to osgi-ofbiz folder.
3. Execute ./ofbiz -console.
4. point your browser to http://localhost:8080/demo?startup=example

Example application is written using Eclipse RAP. On application
startup, you should see a table with existing examples in the left pane.
Try changing the length of the columns.

Double clicking on a example should open it in the right pane editor.
Changing a field value in the editor should show instantly in the right
left panel (table view). Try emptying the name field in the editor and
it should show you a validation decorator. Hovering mouse on decorator
should show you the validation message. As soon as you change any field,
an asterisk (*) should appear next to the title on editor pane. Trying
closing the editor and you should see a dialog box prompting to save
before closing. Save the example by clicking on save button on toolbar.

3. Try creating an new example. Save the example and you should see the
newly added example in the left pane without browser refresh.

Should you need any further help, feel free to ask me. Look forward to
your feedback.

Regards,

Raj

Re: OSGi based OFBiz framework

Posted by Raj Saini <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jeroen,

There was a problem with server. I restarted it and it should work fine now.

Thanks,

Raj

Posted by Raj Saini <ra...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for your feedback Jeroen.

Posted by Jeroen van der Wal <jv...@stromboli.it>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Ha, I did not try the dbl-clic, nice indeed!

Thanks

Jacques
PS: Changing the status from defined to other error is not supported (got an error msg)

From: "Raj Saini" <ra...@gmail.com>

Posted by Raj Saini <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jacques,

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
I get an example list

Jacques

From: "Jeroen van der Wal" <jv...@stromboli.it>

Posted by Jeroen van der Wal <jv...@stromboli.it>.

Posted by Raj Saini <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Raj Saini <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi Chris,

My current implementation uses the OFBiz code base as binary jars. OFbiz
code will need few changes here and there mainly in class loading
mechanism. OFBiz depends on Thread context class loader for some of the
classes. This is not compatible with OSGi as in OSGi environment, each
bundle has its own class loader and it is not predictable which class
loader will be associated as TCL. Also, at the moment, there is not a
support for web application deployment. But I do not see that a
difficult task as there is a already OSGi specifications and couple of
implementation for doing that.

Therefore, only thing needed is the community interest and support.
However, for the time being, I have hosted it on the sourceforge.net for
community participation.

Thanks,

Raj

Posted by chris snow <ch...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Yes good question indeed. I guess it's a "OSGi based OFBiz framework" POC ;o)

Jacques

From: "BJ Freeman" <bj...@free-man.net>

Posted by Shi Jinghai <sh...@langhua.cn>.
Great work and thanks!

在 2010-04-16五的 14:57 +0530,Raj Saini写道:

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Thanks Raj,

I had a 1st look at some demos, it's very impressive indeed...
The RAP <=> RCP aspect is interesting...

Jacques

From: "Raj Saini" <ra...@gmail.com>

Posted by Raj Saini <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jacques,