Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org> on 2005/10/06 21:09:58 UTC

Maven 2.x documentation

Hi,

I'm working on the Maven Getting Started Guide (GSG), some mini guides
and some introductory material.

In the last week or so I've been trying to harvest popular topics off
the user list in order to create the introductory material users need
and mini guides which are supposed to be little howtos for getting
things done.

What I have still needs to be fleshed out a great deal but if anyone has
any ideas or topics for introductory material or mini guides please send
them my way. Or if you have submitted something and you know of a
particular JIRA issue you would like me to look at please send that my
way too.

http://people.apache.org/~jvanzyl/maven2/guides/toc.html

Also if you want to create a little guide I would be happy to add
it! :-)

I hope to complete all the material for the 2.0 final release. Any
feedback would be greatly appreciated.

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason at maven.org
http://maven.apache.org

Re: Maven 2.x documentation

Posted by Eric Biesterfeld <ib...@gmail.com>.
Jason, where do you list all these archetypes that you're creating?

Is there any way to pick up all the options from a plugin in general?

Re: Maven 2.x documentation

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.

Re: Maven 2.x documentation

Posted by Graham King <gr...@darkcoding.net>.
	Jason,

Re: Maven 2.x documentation

Posted by Kees de Kooter <kd...@gmail.com>.
Jason, here are some more suggestions:

- how do I create a war file, or more in general: describe packaging
- how can I set my own remote repository, and how should it be structured

Thanks,
Kees

Re: Réf. : Maven 2.x documentation

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On Fri, 2005-10-07 at 10:35 +0200, fabrice.belingard@mpsa.com wrote:

> Hi Jason,
>
> basically, I would add to your existing list some of the items that are
> already listed on Maven 2 web site
> (http://maven.apache.org/maven2/docs-required.html):
> - Development process with Maven best practices (snapshot handling -

I will most likely transfer some content from the m1 site.

> different from m1, scm plugin, ...)

In JIRA there's an issue for outlining in detail what the differences
are between m1 and m2 but that would be a big one!

> - Plugin writing: a comprehensive guide

Mark Hobson is helping me with that and I'll post the start of that
today.

> - Project inheritence and company wide strategy

I have a introduction to the POM which outlines inheritance but guide to
behind the firewall strategies would definitely be good. Noted.

> - Distribution management

I'll add something there. thanks.

> Best Regards / Cordialement,
> Fabrice BELLINGARD
> DINQ/DSIN/INSI/EATE/IDVS/AIDV
> (+33) (01 61) 45 15 91  -  fabrice.belingard@mpsa.com
>

>              Jason van Zyl
>              <jason@maven.org
>              >                                                        Pour
>                                        'Maven Users List'
>              06/10/2005 21:09          <us...@maven.apache.org>
>                                                                         cc
>
>                  Veuillez                                            Objet
>                 répondre à             Maven 2.x documentation
>              Maven Users List
>              <users@maven.apa
>                  che.org>
>

> Hi,
>
> I'm working on the Maven Getting Started Guide (GSG), some mini guides
> and some introductory material.
>
> In the last week or so I've been trying to harvest popular topics off
> the user list in order to create the introductory material users need
> and mini guides which are supposed to be little howtos for getting
> things done.
>
> What I have still needs to be fleshed out a great deal but if anyone has
> any ideas or topics for introductory material or mini guides please send
> them my way. Or if you have submitted something and you know of a
> particular JIRA issue you would like me to look at please send that my
> way too.
>
> http://people.apache.org/~jvanzyl/maven2/guides/toc.html
>
> Also if you want to create a little guide I would be happy to add
> it! :-)
>
> I hope to complete all the material for the 2.0 final release. Any
> feedback would be greatly appreciated.
>
> --
> jvz.
>
> Jason van Zyl
> jason at maven.org
> http://maven.apache.org

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason at maven.org
http://maven.apache.org

We all have problems. How we deal with them is a measure of our worth.

 -- Unknown

Réf. : Maven 2.x documentation

Posted by fa...@mpsa.com.

jason at maven.org
http://maven.apache.org

Réf. : Maven 2.x documentation

Posted by fa...@mpsa.com.

Hi Jason,

Maybe you've split the following subject into the others, but that would be
valuable to have a guide about configuration inheritence:
- precedence of the different files (settings.xml in maven install,
settings.xml in ".m2" folder, poms and their children, ...)
- how the XML configuration elements are merged (order of the merged
elements, how elements can be overriden, ...)

Cheers,

jason at maven.org
http://maven.apache.org

[m2] Changelog plugin: can't make it work...

Posted by fa...@mpsa.com.

Hi,

I'm trying to evaluate the m2 changelog plugin (2.0-beta-1) work, but I run
out of ideas to make it work properly...

I'm working on a project that can be built both with m1 and m2. The
password is stored in the ".cvspass" file in the user home directory.
m1 changelog plugin generates a correct report with all the last 30-day
changes. ("ChangeLog found: 48 entries")
m2 changelog plugin generates an empty report... ("ChangeSet between
2005-09-07 and 2005-10-08: 0 entries")

Here is an excerpt from my pom:

      <scm>
            <connection>
scm:cvs:pserver:e568945@beaqbr:/usersdev/cvs00/gdd:MyApp</connection>
            <developerConnection>
scm:cvs:pserver:e568945@beaqbr:/usersdev/cvs00/gdd:MyApp
</developerConnection>
      </scm>
      <reporting>
            <plugins>
                  <plugin>
                        <groupId>org.codehaus.mojo</groupId>
                        <artifactId>changelog-maven-plugin</artifactId>
                        <version>2.0-beta-1</version>
                        <reportSets>
                              <reportSet>
                                    <id>full-report</id>
                                    <configuration>
                                          <type>range</type>
                                          <range>30</range>
                                          <basedir>${basedir}</basedir>
                                    </configuration>
                                    <reports>
                                          <report>changelog</report>
                                          <report>file-activity</report>
                                          <report>dev-activity</report>
                                    </reports>
                              </reportSet>
                        </reportSets>
                  </plugin>
            </plugins>
      </reporting>

I've been struggling to make it work, but I give up for now... Any idea?

jason at maven.org
http://maven.apache.org