Posted to dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Alejandro Abdelnur <Al...@Sun.COM> on 2005/05/27 06:41:19 UTC

Is there a SVN tag in Jackrabbit for JSR170 Final Release?

My understanding is that while a project is in Apache incubator no
release can be made.

It would be useful if stable builds are tagged.

Is this already happening or being planned?

Thxs.

Re: Is there a SVN tag in Jackrabbit for JSR170 Final Release?

Posted by David Nuescheler <da...@gmail.com>.
hi jos,

> when can we "outsiders" see the final spec?
we are planning to submit the final release on 8-jun-2005 to the pmo of the jcp.
if you add to time for administrational processing on the pmo side and then this
should give you a rough estimate...
i apologize for not being able to give you any more precise answer.

regards,
david

Re: Is there a SVN tag in Jackrabbit for JSR170 Final Release?

Posted by Jos Potargent <jo...@gmail.com>.
David,

when can we "outsiders" see the final spec?

Jos

Posted by David Nuescheler <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alejandro Abdelnur <Al...@Sun.COM>.
Thxs David.

Posted by David Nuescheler <da...@gmail.com>.
hi alejandro,

sorry for the delay.

Posted by Alejandro Abdelnur <Al...@Sun.COM>.
On May 27, 2005, at 6:36 AM, David Nuescheler wrote:

> hi alejandro,
>
> good to see you around here ;)

Keeping an eye on interesting stuff.

>> Alejandro Abdelnur wrote:
>>> My understanding is that while a project is in Apache incubator no
>>> release can be made.
>> I'm not sure if that's true, as just yesterday a release vote was
>> started on general@i.a.o. However, I think that it has been the policy
>> of Jackrabbit not to make releases before JSR 170 is ready.
> i think the incubator does not stop us from making releases, please
> correct me if i am wrong),

I remember something like it for Pluto (JSR168 RI), looking at the
Incubator Guidelines I've found the following:

http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/
Incubation_Policy.html#Releases%0D

> however the ri is a relase of day-software
> as the spec-lead and has only an indirect conjunction with a
> jackrabbit release.

I assume the RI will be Apache 2.0 license as well, right?

>>> It would be useful if stable builds are tagged.
>> True, and I expect that one will be made shortly after the API reaches
>> 1.0. Not knowing the internal schedule of the expert group, I can't
>> tell
>> when this will happen, but I assume we are talking about weeks instead
>> of months.
>>> Is this already happening or being planned?
>> There's already the ri-1.0 branch, but no definite version has yet
>> been
>> tagged.
> we will branch the source code for the ri for the final release of
> the spec, tck and ri. currently we are looking at a final release in
> early june, since final approval ballot is looking good for 31-may ;)

Great. Congrats to everyone, nice work.

Re: Is there a SVN tag in Jackrabbit for JSR170 Final Release?

Posted by David Nuescheler <da...@gmail.com>.
hi alejandro,

good to see you around here ;)

> Alejandro Abdelnur wrote:
> > My understanding is that while a project is in Apache incubator no
> > release can be made.
> I'm not sure if that's true, as just yesterday a release vote was
> started on general@i.a.o. However, I think that it has been the policy
> of Jackrabbit not to make releases before JSR 170 is ready.
i think the incubator does not stop us from making releases, please
correct me if i am wrong), however the ri is a relase of day-software

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@zitting.name>.
Hi,

[It seems I'm experiencing heavy lag in email delivery. Please ignore if
someone already answered this question.]

Alejandro Abdelnur wrote:
> My understanding is that while a project is in Apache incubator no
> release can be made.

I'm not sure if that's true, as just yesterday a release vote was
started on general@i.a.o. However, I think that it has been the policy
of Jackrabbit not to make releases before JSR 170 is ready.

> It would be useful if stable builds are tagged.

True, and I expect that one will be made shortly after the API reaches
1.0. Not knowing the internal schedule of the expert group, I can't tell
when this will happen, but I assume we are talking about weeks instead
of months.

> Is this already happening or being planned?

There's already the ri-1.0 branch, but no definite version has yet been
tagged.

BR

Jukka Zitting