Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Shaun Campbell <sh...@virgin.net> on 2003/03/08 01:15:25 UTC

Can Turbine help with this?

I've got a little experience of Turbine but I wondered whether there was any
features built into Turbine which would help me with this development I am
trying to do.

The problem is I need to write a server to read emails (including
attachments) sent to a particular email address and write them out to a
file, in a format that can be displayed by most bog stndard pcs.  I think,
but I haven't tested yet, that a .eml file will be read automatically by
Outlook Express in IE.

One thing I am thinking of in particular, which I have never used, is the
scheduler.  Could this be used to schedule the reading of emails?  Is it
easy to set up and use?  Also is there any utilities for handling mail
messages?

Is it do-able with Turbine?  Anybody already done it and willing to share
his experience?

Thanks for any help.

Regards

Shaun Campbell

Re: Can Turbine help with this?

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.
"Shaun Campbell" <sh...@virgin.net> writes:

>I've got a little experience of Turbine but I wondered whether there was any
>features built into Turbine which would help me with this development I am
>trying to do.

>The problem is I need to write a server to read emails (including
>attachments) sent to a particular email address and write them out to a
>file, in a format that can be displayed by most bog stndard pcs.  I think,
>but I haven't tested yet, that a .eml file will be read automatically by
>Outlook Express in IE.

This sounds more like something that James is the perfect match for.
It's an email server written in Java: http://james.apache.org/

	Regards
		Henning

RE: Can Turbine help with this?

Posted by Malcolm Kendall <mi...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
Hi Shaun,
I strongly endorse using Turbine for this kind of app, having a similar
server now happily munching through 5,000 emails a day and their
attachments. Scheduler is fine and the whole server is wonderfully stable.
Turbine makes remote management easy to implement. The IMAP/SMTP stuff
is not alot of code and I can share non-proprietary stuff.

Regards,
Malcolm Kendall

Posted by Chris K Chew <ch...@fenetics.com>.
I see two parts to your project:  1. Retrieving the email from the mail
server, and 2. Doing something with the retrieved email messages.

1. You can use and the JavaMail api (possibly something in the Apache
Commons?) to retrieve the message.  If the messages will be plain text (not
MIME), it will be very easy to isolate the message contents.  You can then
schedule this process using the scheduler service.  Be sure and use the
latest version of Turbine because there have been some issues with the
scheduler in the past.

2. I don't quite understand what you want to do with the messages.  Are you
going to parse the message and create a file, and allow the users to
download the messages in the new file format?  If so, why?  Do you need to
create an adaptor/converter of sorts, or is this going to be a new webmail
client?  Or maybe an email proxy?  Or spam filter?  Transaction gateway?
These are the things going through my head anyways that might use something
like you are asking...

If you are not opposed to Linux, and depending on what other things the
project is doing, it might be easier to write some shell scripts that plug
in to Qmail.  This would probably be much faster, since Qmail is
lightning-fast.  It is performing your due diligence to consider it,
anyways.

Chris