Posted to test-dev@httpd.apache.org by venugopal Narayanabhatla <vn...@yahoo-inc.com> on 2005/01/10 19:20:37 UTC

couple of questions on "flood" tool.

Hi ,

I have downloaded and compiled the code and get the examples working,
but does not work when I am trying to customize to  my environment,

I want to use it loadtest our relayserver which accepts POST requests of
different file sizes , and then also accetps GET requests to get those
POSTed files.

1. This is my original request(from the capture using a proxy), I am
trying to use
PRIMARY POST URI
"http://test-cs1.msg.sc5.yahoo.com:7002/qa.cgi?token="+MY_TOKEN+ &
        "&sender=testuser&recver=tuser HTTP/1.0" ON 1            &
        HEADER DEFAULT_HEADERS            &
          ,BODY
"qa=stestigtesdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfdsfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfdsfdsfsdfdsfd"

So I  included this in my test,.xml file in flood

 <url method="POST"
payload="qa=stestigtesdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfdsfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfdsfdsfsdfdsfd">http://test-cs1.msg.sc5.yahoo.com:7002/qa.cgi?token=wce3BB6
obAef_UVR9yalMQu8RMgDqvhGc-&amp;sender=testuser&amp;recver=tuser
HTTP/1.0</url>

It does not work.
A. Is payload the right parameter to specifiy the body of the POST
request. Is there a way to include different sizes of files in the request.
B. Is there a way to parameterise different parts of  a url from a file
and run the tests.

I appologise for spamming the whole list. but I need some help here.

thanks,
Venu

Re: couple of questions on "flood" tool.

Posted by Jacek Prucia <ja...@acn.waw.pl>.
On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 10:20:37 -0800
venugopal Narayanabhatla <vn...@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:

> Hi ,
>
> I have downloaded and compiled the code and get the examples working,
> but does not work when I am trying to customize to  my environment,
>
> I want to use it loadtest our relayserver which accepts POST requests of
> different file sizes , and then also accetps GET requests to get those
> POSTed files.
>
> 1. This is my original request(from the capture using a proxy), I am
> trying to use
> PRIMARY POST URI
> "http://test-cs1.msg.sc5.yahoo.com:7002/qa.cgi?token="+MY_TOKEN+ &
>         "&sender=testuser&recver=tuser HTTP/1.0" ON 1            &
>         HEADER DEFAULT_HEADERS            &
>           ,BODY
> "qa=stestigtesdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfdsfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfdsfdsfsdfdsfd"
>
> So I  included this in my test,.xml file in flood
>
>  <url method="POST"
> payload="qa=stestigtesdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfdsfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfdsfdsfsdf
> dsfd">http://test-cs1.msg.sc5.yahoo.com:7002/qa.cgi?token=wce3BB6
> obAef_UVR9yalMQu8RMgDqvhGc-&amp;sender=testuser&amp;recver=tuser
> HTTP/1.0</url>
>
> It does not work.

First thing, that look's odd: why is 'HTTP/1.0' part of an URL? You schould
remove this, as it will be added by flood when creating request.

> A. Is payload the right parameter to specifiy the body of the POST
> request.

yes.

> Is there a way to include different sizes of files in the request.

I'm not sure if i understand you correctly, but payload is really a static
element. You have to prepare it first, and then when creating request, flood
will calculate Content-Length header. So you need a separate URL for every
different file.

> B. Is there a way to parameterise different parts of  a url from a file
> and run the tests.

Unfortunatelly, no. I was recently bitten by the same problem. I was forced to
use "another ASF testing package", which somehow handled the task, reading
data from file in sequential order. During that test I figured out, that this
method is also not enough, and I'm working on a 'data sources' concept for
flood.

> I appologise for spamming the whole list. but I need some help here.

This is not a spam, but a bunch of legitimate questions. Please don't hesitate
to ask them here, as this is the right place to do so.

Be sure to check flood documentation. It's mostly up-to-date. Check docs
subdirectory or (if you don't want to build it yourself) following URL:

http://cvs.apache.org/~jacekp/manual/

regards,
Jacek Prucia