Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "D'Elia, Kevin" <Ke...@FEPOC.CareFirst.com> on 2002/03/18 16:59:40 UTC

Save As... problem

I have created a virtual host section which has a network drive for its
docroot value.  In this docroot are several MS Word files which I want
people on our team to be able to update.  Whenever any of these files are
accessed, the plug-in shows them in the browser (IE) or in a Word frame,
which is fine.  The problem is that when they go and save the files, the
file is saved to a local directory, not the network drive.  So, if I update
my project calendar with my personal time off dates, the other team members
don't see this, nor do I see theirs.  I have looked around and know that if
the mime type is application/octet, the web server will try and give the
user a Save As.. dialog (this seems to happen under IE, but not Netscape,
which does a silent Save As...  to my c:/tmp directory), but I don't want
this.  How do I get the file to be saved under the correct place?  Does this
not work for plug-ins?

Thanks in advance to all who respond.

Kevin D'Elia

Re: Save As... problem

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Mon, 18 Mar 2002, D'Elia, Kevin wrote:

> I have created a virtual host section which has a network drive for its
> docroot value.  In this docroot are several MS Word files which I want
> people on our team to be able to update.  Whenever any of these files are
> accessed, the plug-in shows them in the browser (IE) or in a Word frame,
> which is fine.  The problem is that when they go and save the files, the
> file is saved to a local directory, not the network drive.

Apache 1.3 does not have any module out-of-the-box to allow saving files
back to the webserver.  You should have a look at
http://www.webdav.org/mod_dav/

This module is included with Apache 2.0.

Joshua.