Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jeremy Pierson <jp...@isolvetechnologies.com> on 2001/11/20 01:59:51 UTC

JDBCRealm always fails after using diff. CATALINA_BASE

I decided to try to run the different apps on one server under separate
Tomcat instances using CATALINA_BASE being a different directory than
CATALINA_HOME.  So I copied server.xml to  a new directory and made all
of the necessary adjustments.

Tomcat and the application start and run as should be expected, with one
exception:  form-based authentication (which used to work) ALWAYS fails
now (sends to the login-failed.jsp page).

If it makes any difference, it's using a JDBCRealm, but everything else
in the site uses the same JDBC information and works correctly still.
So I know that it's not a problem with JDBC.  I'm getting no messages in
the log files.  And, Yes, I'm very certain that I am using a valid user
name and password with proper role memberships.

No changes have been made to the site, database, or anything except for
how Tomcat is started (the new CATALINA_BASE value).

Any ideas?

Much thanks!

-jeremy-

Re: JDBCRealm always fails after using diff. CATALINA_BASE

Posted by Jeremy Pierson <jp...@isolvetechnologies.com>.
I've been working at this all weekend.  Just checking to see if anybody
out there's got any idea as to why this is happening...  thanks again!

On Monday, November 19, 2001, at 06:59 PM, Jeremy Pierson wrote:

> I decided to try to run the different apps on one server under separate
> Tomcat instances using CATALINA_BASE being a different directory than
> CATALINA_HOME.  So I copied server.xml to  a new directory and made all
> of the necessary adjustments.
>
> Tomcat and the application start and run as should be expected, with
> one exception:  form-based authentication (which used to work) ALWAYS
> fails now (sends to the login-failed.jsp page).
>
> If it makes any difference, it's using a JDBCRealm, but everything else
> in the site uses the same JDBC information and works correctly still.
> So I know that it's not a problem with JDBC.  I'm getting no messages
> in the log files.  And, Yes, I'm very certain that I am using a valid
> user name and password with proper role memberships.
>
> No changes have been made to the site, database, or anything except for
> how Tomcat is started (the new CATALINA_BASE value).
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Much thanks!
>
> -jeremy-

UPDATED:  I turned OFF the JDBCRealm and used the MemoryRealm with
tomcat-users.xml and login DOES authenticate.  Now why isn't the
JDBCRealm?  It bothers me that there are no server log messages...  Is
there a way for Tomcat to log all failed authentication requests?

-jeremy-