Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Aaron Nowack <an...@mimiru.net> on 2009/04/29 03:50:12 UTC

Axis2 1.3 and anyType

Hello,

For reasons that aren't really worth getting into, we're in the position
of having to re-implement an existing web service without access to the
original's source, or help from anyone involved in writing it. Existing
clients (to which we also do not have access to the source) must
continue to work with the new implementation. Fortunately, we do have
the WSDL, so we don’t have to reverse engineer it from scratch. So far
as we've been able to determine based on the included jars, the original
web service was built using Axis2 1.3 (although the existing client also
includes a jar for some version of axis1 for reasons we haven't been
able to determine).
We've been using wsimport to build Java classes from the WSDL, and
running in the JAX-WS reference implementation, and we've run into an
odd incompatibility regarding elements defined as type xs:anyType in the
WSDL.
>From these elements, our implementation produces SOAP messages of form:

<ElementName xsi:type="RealType">
(data)
</ElementName>

The original implementation, on the other hand, produces, and the
clients seem to expect:

<ElementName>
<RealType>
(data)
</RealType>
</ElementName>

Based on what we've found online, it seems as though our behavior is
correct, and we haven't been able to find any references to latter
behavior - although it's possible we just haven't hit on the right
search terms.
In my searches, I found this bug:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AXIS2-3331
But it doesn't seem to be same issue, and in fact the discussion there
seems to indicate to me that Axis2 1.3 ought to matching our behavior,
and not what we're seeing the original implementation do. Is anyone
familiar with the latter type of behavior for xs:anyType (is it maybe
Axis1 behavior?), or have any idea how we might resolve this problem?

Thanks for your time,
Aaron Nowack