Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> on 2002/11/25 21:42:19 UTC

FW: [proposal] drop @author tags from source files

Just FYI ...

	--- Noel

-----Original Message-----
From: Greg Stein [mailto:gstein@lyra.org]
Sent: Monday, November 25, 2002 15:30
To: Avalon Developers List
Subject: Re: [proposal] drop @author tags from source files

> Greg,
> Is this an official board position? I think just about all the Java code
> I've seen has @author tags. Is this a commandment to remove them all in
> all projects?

Woah... absolutely not! Note that I signed the email using
gstein@lyra.org. If I'm intending to speak in any official capacity, then
I'll use my @apache.org address with a matching footer. Without that, then
consider me just another developer offering some opinions.

That said, I *would* offer exactly the same opinion to all code at the
ASF, whether it is Java, C, Perl, or whatever. As an ASF developer and an
ASF Director, I'd like to see that enforced, but I also don't think the
Board should attempt to enforce that, and would probably be disinclined to
even have the Board suggest this kind of code change. Generally, I think
the Board should stay out of the code.

Cheers,
-g