Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Peter Kahn <ci...@gmail.com> on 2007/08/06 20:21:22 UTC

SVN vs. CVS speed/performance testing

Does anyone know where there is current performance test data
comparing SVN to CVS?  I am about to start on my final verification
our switch from CVS to SVN and I will be checking a bunch of clients
to verify that they all perform at least as well as their CVS
counterparts.  If there's already existing data on performance that is
recent I'd like to add it to my report.

I googled and found data from 2004 which is a little old.  If you know
of any that is recent, please let me know.

--
Peter Kahn
citizenkahn@gmail.com

Re: SVN vs. CVS speed/performance testing

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.
On 8/6/07, Peter Kahn <ci...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Does anyone know where there is current performance test data
> comparing SVN to CVS?  I am about to start on my final verification
> our switch from CVS to SVN and I will be checking a bunch of clients
> to verify that they all perform at least as well as their CVS
> counterparts.  If there's already existing data on performance that is
> recent I'd like to add it to my report.

Performance will depend in part upon your hardware & OS setup, as well
as the type of data you're storing & managing.

Could you set up your own test repositories for each, in a fashion
which is similar to what your real usage will be, and run your own
benchmarks?  "The internet says..." may carry less weight than "I ran
these tests on our setup, and here's what I found."