Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Pascal Rapicault <pa...@rapicault.net> on 2008/12/22 18:03:11 UTC

Testing bogus servers

Hi,

I would like to know if you have an infrastructure simulating servers
with bogus behaviors (returning bogus error codes, servers closing the
connection in a middle of a transfer without error, etc.) when you are
testing the client?

Thx

PaScaL

Re: Testing bogus servers

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 2008-12-23 at 11:04 -0500, Pascal Rapicault wrote:
> Hi Oleg,
>
> I'm not so much interested in testing the HTTP protocol in itself as
> much as I'm interested in testing the responsiveness of my application
> (mostly file transfer using http client 3.1 for now) in face of
> "misbehaving servers". For example, the few scenarios that I have
> encountered in real life and that I want to test are:
> 	- Server timing out (so I can test the responsiveness of cancellation
> in my app)
> 	- Server never timing out but stalled
> 	- Server returning an OK status despite having only returned a
> partial set of bytes
>
> Do you already have setup like these?

Currently not, as we are mostly testing code for protocol compliance
issues rather than network / peer reliability issues

> Also while graveling through the http client code base I came across
> the org.apache.common.httpclient.server package which seems to be a
> bit simpler. Do you still recommend its use?

3.x code line is approaching end of life. The 4.x code line represents a
massively better platform for building custom HTTP services. I would
strongly advise against using org.apache.common.httpclient.server stuff.

Cheers

Oleg

Re: Testing bogus servers

Posted by Pascal Rapicault <pa...@rapicault.net>.