Posted to dev@apisix.apache.org by Zhiyuan Ju <ju...@apache.org> on 2021/12/12 14:35:33 UTC

[DISCUSS] Use Netlify to build web projects' preview site

Hi Community,

We Apache APISIX Community has 2 web projects for now: apisix-website[1]
and apisix-dashboard[2]. When contributors submit PRs, we could use the 3rd
platform Netlify[3] to build that PR's Preview site, it's very easy for
reviewers to review that PR's changes, and it also takes a good Developer
Experience for all of us :)

Today I sent a mail to Netlify's Support Team to apply for the OSS plan[4],
and just received the reply:

```
You’ll need to deploy the Preview site on Netlify in order for us to
approve the Open Source application.

Additionally, we would appreciate a link to our service on your projects
preview site for your website's visitors to see (so, not just in your
repository documentation or on a sponsors page). You have two options: we
have pre-made badges (https://www.netlify.com/press/#badges) for your
convenience, or you may create your own link, which should read “This site
is powered by Netlify”. Either should link back to our home page,
https://www.netlify.com.

Please let us know if you have any other questions or once you’ve deployed
the preview site on Netlify. Thanks!
```

I have checked Netlify's requirements, we need to add Netlify's Link on the
Preview Site, please note: it's not on the ASF's Official Site, so it's
good to go to integrate Netlify's Service IMO.

- For apisix-website, we could use a Custom Web Component to include the
Netlify Link, and because we don't need to release website source code, so
it works.
- For apisix-dashboard, we could remove the Netlify Component before
releasing, so it works as well IMO.

What do you think?

[1] https://github.com/apache/apisix-website
[2] https://github.com/apache/apisix-dashboard
[3] http://netlify.com/
[4] https://www.netlify.com/open-source/

Best Regards!
@ Zhiyuan Ju <https://github.com/juzhiyuan>

Re: [DISCUSS] Use Netlify to build web projects' preview site

Posted by Zhiyuan Ju <ju...@apache.org>.
Hi Community,

The Netlify OSS Application is finished and here are some tips from the
support team.

```
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

You can find your new sponsored team here:
https://app.netlify.com/teams/sponsored-oss-account-3ekvehm/overview

Please note that while this is a free account, it is not an unlimited
account - please carefully review the limitations for the paid Pro plan
here: https://www.netlify.com/pricing/#teams - your project will still be
financially liable for overages in bandwidth, build minutes, form
submissions, and the like above the Pro plan limits (except for
contributors, which are unlimited on the sponsored plan).

Now that you have access to the team, you'll probably want to invite your
collaborators to the team as well.

You can transfer your existing site to that team following this workflow:
https://docs.netlify.com/accounts-and-billing/team-management/team-owned-sites/#transfer-sites-between-teams
- but do keep in mind we intend this team only for your open source, a
non-commercial project so we appreciate your honesty in not moving your
company or personal sites there.

If you've already set up a DNS zone for your custom domain on Netlify,
you'll also want to move that to this new account following this workflow:
https://docs.netlify.com/domains-https/netlify-dns/#transfer-domains-between-teams
.

Thanks for all the good your team does in the world!
```

Right now, I only enabled apisix-website with Netlify Preview, it's enough
(with 1000 mins build time) for us to use IMO :)

I will try to invite private@apisix.apache.org as Netlify's Owner.

孙毅 <su...@apache.org> 于2021年12月14日周二 09:49写道:

Posted by 孙毅 <su...@apache.org>.
Nice work 👍

Posted by Qi Guo <gu...@gmail.com>.
That's great!

Posted by Sylvia <sy...@gmail.com>.

回复: [DISCUSS] Use Netlify to build web projects' preview site

Posted by Zhiyuan Ju <ju...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Baoyuan <ba...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Shivam Singh <sh...@gmail.com>.