Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org> on 2022/04/28 09:19:49 UTC

Giving up Jira in favor of GitHub issues?

Hi folks,

does anybody have an opinion on giving up Jira in favor of GitHub issues?

I am personally more used to a purely GitHub-based workflow and find

Ups of GitHub:
- the issue management features of GitHub conveniently lightweight and flexible
- the UI reasonably fast

Downs of Jira:
- there are tons of issue types we do not use
- the UI is sluggish
- instead of markdown, a Jira-specific markup language needs to be used
- people cannot access e.g. the changelist report without logging in to Jira

Main differences:
- Jira issues can target multiple versions, GitHub issues can target only a single milestone
- In Jira we have one "project", in GitHub, we have one tracker per repo - "cross repo" issues would be a thing of the past (maybe a good thing)

Any further input or opinions?

Cheers,

-- Richard

Re: [VOTE] Stop using Jira to track issues and start using GitHub

Posted by Viorel Morari <vi...@averbis.com>.
Hi,

[x] +1 - Activate the issue trackers in the GitHub repos and start using
them, stop opening issues in Jira

Best,
Viorel

[RESULT][VOTE] Stop using Jira to track issues and start using GitHub

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org>.
Vote concludes:

- +1 Richard Eckart de Castilho
- +1 Peter Klügl

No other vote were received.

I'll enable issue management in the GitHub repos and gradually switch over.

Cheers,

-- Richard

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org>.

Posted by Peter Klügl <pe...@averbis.com>.
[x] +1 - Activate the issue trackers in the GitHub repos and start using them, stop opening issues in Jira

Peter

--
Dr. Peter Klügl
Head of Text Mining/Machine Learning

Averbis GmbH
Salzstr. 15
79098 Freiburg
Germany

Fon: +49 761 708 394 0
Fax: +49 761 708 394 10
Email: peter.kluegl@averbis.com
Web: https://averbis.com

Headquarters: Freiburg im Breisgau

[VOTE] Stop using Jira to track issues and start using GitHub

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org>.
Hi again,