Posted to dev@mina.apache.org by Vinod Panicker <vi...@gmail.com> on 2006/12/13 11:18:36 UTC

JRockit vs Sun JDK

Hi,

I ran my usual load test on JDK 6 and JRockit 5 and was surprised to
see that JRockit did extremely poorly as compared to the Sun JVM.

In terms of CPU utilization, for a user load of 10k, the Sun JVM used
up 45% cpu while the JRockit JVM used over 80% at just 6k users. The
response time degraded so badly by then that it was pointless to run
the test further.

After reading about Robert's experiences with JRockit, I was expecting
great things, but this turned out to be quite a surprise.

Regards,
Vinod.

Re: JRockit vs Sun JDK

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
I have no idea if IBM support epoll.

What I can tell is that when we did some performance tests on ADS last
summer, we did it with Sun jdk 1.5, IBM and JRockit, and JRockit outperfomed
Sun by a large margin (like 40%), and IBM by 10%.

Things could have changed since... Obviously, there were space for huge
optimization in Sun JVM ;)

--
Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny

Re: JRockit vs Sun JDK

Posted by Vinod Panicker <vi...@gmail.com>.

Re: JRockit vs Sun JDK

Posted by Robert Greig <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 13/12/06, Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > In terms of CPU utilization, for a user load of 10k, the Sun JVM used
> > up 45% cpu while the JRockit JVM used over 80% at just 6k users. The
> > response time degraded so badly by then that it was pointless to run
> > the test further.
> >
> > After reading about Robert's experiences with JRockit, I was expecting
> > great things, but this turned out to be quite a surprise.

We found that Sun JDK 6 outperformed JRockit 5 by a reasonable margin,
but that if you compare JRockit 5 to Sun 5, JRockit was on top.
However at the time we tested that Sun 1.5 did not have epoll support.
I am not sure if JRockit 5 has epoll support. Lack of epoll could well
be the reason for high CPU utilisation with that number of clients.

RG

Re: JRockit vs Sun JDK

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Interesting...