Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Ingo Bürk <in...@ververica.com> on 2021/01/18 10:10:39 UTC

[DISCUSS] Flink configuration from environment variables

Hi everyone,

in Ververica Platform we offer a feature to use environment variables in
the Flink configuration¹, e.g.

```
s3.access-key: ${S3_ACCESS_KEY}
```

We've been discussing internally whether contributing such a feature to
Flink directly would make sense and wanted to start a discussion on this
topic.

An alternative way to do so from the above would be parsing those directly
based on their name, so instead of having it defined in the Flink
configuration as above, it would get automatically set if something like
$FLINK_CONFIG_S3_ACCESS_KEY was set in the environment. This is somewhat
similar to what e.g. Spring does, and faces similar challenges (dealing
with "."s etc.)

Although I view both of these approaches as mostly orthogonal, supporting
both very likely wouldn't make sense, of course. So I was wondering what
your opinion is in terms of whether the project would benefit from
environment variable support for the Flink configuration, and whether there
are tendencies as to which approach to go with.

¹
https://docs.ververica.com/user_guide/application_operations/deployments/configure_flink.html#environment-variables

Best regards
Ingo

Re: [DISCUSS] Flink configuration from environment variables

Posted by Ingo Bürk <in...@ververica.com>.
Hi Steven,

regarding the hierarchical override, we could even expand the substitution
solution to support shell syntax with default values like

state.checkpoints.dir: ${CHECKPOINTS_DIR:-path1}

such that if the environment variable doesn't exist, path1 will be used.

Regards
Ingo

Posted by Ingo Bürk <in...@ververica.com>.
Hi,

sorry, I almost forgot, so just to update this thread: I now started a new
thread for the actual FLIP:

Ingo

Posted by Ingo Bürk <in...@ververica.com>.
Hi Steven,