Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Regina Henschel <rb...@t-online.de> on 2012/05/07 18:01:57 UTC

Handling of pictures in Writer

Hi all,

user often ask why they cannot rotate pictures in Writer, e.g issue
3545. There exists a tip to copy a picture from Draw to Writer, then it
can be rotated. But that Draw-picture is different from a Writer- picture.

I have made a table to collect the differences between Writer-pictures
and Draw-pictures. It is currently in my personal area on the
Media-wiki. If you find it useful and you know a suitable place, please
tell me where to put it.

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/User:Regina/ComparisonWriterDrawPicture

Kind regards
Regina

Re: Handling of pictures in Writer

Posted by Regina Henschel <rb...@t-online.de>.
Hi Eric,

eric b schrieb:

> Le 7 mai 12 à 18:01, Regina Henschel a écrit :
>
>> Hi all,
>>

> Hi Regina,
>

>> user often ask why they cannot rotate pictures in Writer, e.g issue
>> 3545. There exists a tip to copy a picture from Draw to Writer, then
>> it can be rotated. But that Draw-picture is different from a Writer-
>> picture.
>>
>> I have made a table to collect the differences between Writer-pictures
>> and Draw-pictures.
>

> Thanks a lot !
>
> FYI, there was a little mismatch with the issue number, and I fixed it
> on the wiki

That is the advantage of a wiki :)

>> It is currently in my personal area on the Media-wiki. If you find it
>> useful and you know a suitable place, please tell me where to put it.
>

> I think it it the right location. Let's wait for other opinions though ...
>

>> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/User:Regina/ComparisonWriterDrawPicture
>>

> That's a very good idea. As you probably read in the issue, I took over
> the task, and I'll use this wiki page to report any progress and step done.
>
> The idea is, as discussed with Oliver and Armin, to reuse some Draw
> features in Writer, like (image rotation). There is a lot to do and any
> help is welcome.
>

> Current work in progress :
>
> - I expermiented some hack (adding image Rotation), but something is
> missing

Me too, I have tried to rotate it by Basic macro. The rotation itself
works, but I do not get the bounding rectangle adapted.

> - reading most of the Draw code.
> - comparing Writer and Draw shells.
>
> Long term plan :
> Make it work.
>
> Are you interested to share / contribute to the task with me ?

Yes. I'm currently working to get some features form LO to AOO and vs,
which starts with building on Windows. But I'm very interested in all
things connected with Draw and would like to be informed about your
general approach and progress. I like coding, however I'm no
professional. But I can test your work at least, and -ask Armin- usually
find a lot of bugs and deficiencies.

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

On 08.05.2012 23:20, Regina Henschel wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> eric b schrieb:
>> Hi,
>>
> [..]
>> I'm not Regina, but my question is still valid : if I had some taks
>> list, or some pointers in the code, it could reduce the time to search,
>> and reinvent the wheel.
>>
>> Could you propose us some fast tasks list, or anything like a
>> description ... or ... ?
>
> I think, first there should be the central code design decision, whether to drop
> Writer pictures.
>
> If yes, a plan for transition is needed.
>
> A first step in that transition might be, to allow the user to insert a picture
> as Draw-picture from file into Writer, so that the indirect way over Draw is no
> longer needed. That can be done with a new dialog for example.

I am not sure about how the present to our standard users that she/he could
insert two types of images in the Writer.
Armin also mentioned that it may be a solution to provide a rotation function
for Writer images. When the user activates this function the Writer image could
be converted to a Drawing Layer images after the user has been ask in a dialog.
This dialog could then mention also the drawbacks (missing/lost features) of
such a conversion.

> A next step might be to implement hyperlinks for drawing objects. That is a
> missing feature in Draw too.

Yes, this is also a missing feature for Drawing Layer objects in Writer which
needs to be implemented.

Best regards, Oliver.

Re: Handling of pictures in Writer

Posted by Regina Henschel <rb...@t-online.de>.
Hi Eric,

eric b schrieb:
> Hi,

[..]

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

On 08.05.2012 22:55, eric b wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Le 8 mai 12 à 13:12, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann a écrit :
>
>> Hi,
>>
>>> That's a very good idea. As you probably read in the issue, I took over the
>>> task, and I'll use this wiki page to report any progress and step done.
>>> The idea is, as discussed with Oliver and Armin, to reuse some Draw features
>>> in Writer, like (image rotation). There is a lot to do and any help is welcome.
>>
>> Armin's and my idea is mainly removing the Writer implementation for
>> images/pictures, introduce all its features missing in the Drawing Layer
>> implementation for images/pictures and use the Drawing Layer implementation
>> for images/pictures in Writer. Our idea is quite old, but we never got the
>> resources to work on it.
>> Unfortunately, all the work we had done in preparation is lost.
>

> Do you really have no direction to point to us ? e.g. some class name, or
> something like where in the code or whatever else who could help ?

I am sorry that I can not give some concrete code pointer.
For the stuff regarding extending the Drawing Layer implementation of images I
am not the expert.
For the stuff in Writer, e.g. macro functionality for Writer images, I need to
have a look into the code. I do not have the information at hand as was not
involved in the implementation and the maintaince of these functionalities.

>> This lost work mainly covers something like you Regina had done. It summarized
>> all the features of the Writer implementation which are currently not
>> available in the Drawing Layer implementation. It also contained some planning
>> of the corresponding implementation. But, it is lost and needs to be done again.
>>

> I'm not Regina, but my question is still valid : if I had some taks list, or
> some pointers in the code, it could reduce the time to search, and reinvent the
> wheel.
>
> Could you propose us some fast tasks list, or anything like a description ... or
> ... ?

I have to admit again that I do not have such a list of issues/tasks at hand. I
even do not know, if certain issues/tasks exists.

I think the work which Regina started in the wiki is a good beginning.
If I would had time, I would look in the user interface (the format dialogs) of
the Writer images in order to figure out what is possible here. Then I would
compare it this the functionality of Drawing Layer images. I would write down,
what is not possible or in a different way.
One example would be the border lines which are possible for Writer images which
are not possible for Drawing Layer images.
Afterwards, I would had a deeper look into the ODF of Writer images and Drawing
Layer images to find further stuff which is possible for Writer images and are
not possible in Drawing Layer images. When I am remembering it correct there is
also stuff which in Writer images and Drawing Layer images which are using the
same ODF feature, but in some different way - e.g. border distance.
Based on a hopefully complete list of features missing at the Drawing Layer
implementation from the point of view from the Writer implementation, I would
look at the code details in order to figure out what needs to be implemented for
the Drawing Layer images. Here Armin's expertise would come into the game.

Best regards, Oliver.

Re: Handling of pictures in Writer

Posted by eric b <er...@free.fr>.
Hi,

Le 8 mai 12 à 13:12, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann a écrit :

> Hi,
>
>> That's a very good idea. As you probably read in the issue, I took
>> over the task, and I'll use this wiki page to report any progress
>> and step done.
>> The idea is, as discussed with Oliver and Armin, to reuse some
>> Draw features in Writer, like (image rotation). There is a lot to
>> do and any help is welcome.
>
> Armin's and my idea is mainly removing the Writer implementation
> for images/pictures, introduce all its features missing in the
> Drawing Layer implementation for images/pictures and use the
> Drawing Layer implementation for images/pictures in Writer. Our
> idea is quite old, but we never got the resources to work on it.
> Unfortunately, all the work we had done in preparation is lost.

Do you really have no direction to point to us ? e.g. some class
name, or something like where in the code or whatever else who could
help ?

> This lost work mainly covers something like you Regina had done. It
> summarized all the features of the Writer implementation which are
> currently not available in the Drawing Layer implementation. It
> also contained some planning of the corresponding implementation.
> But, it is lost and needs to be done again.

I'm not Regina, but my question is still valid : if I had some taks
list, or some pointers in the code, it could reduce the time to
search, and reinvent the wheel.

Could you propose us some fast tasks list, or anything like a
description  ... or ...  ?

Thanks in advance,
Eric

--
qɔᴉɹə
Blog : http://eric.bachard.org/news

Re: Handling of pictures in Writer

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

On 10.05.2012 06:48, Dave Fisher wrote:

> On May 8, 2012, at 4:12 AM, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann wrote:
>
>> Hi,

>>> Hi Regina,

>>> Thanks a lot !
>>>
>>> FYI, there was a little mismatch with the issue number, and I fixed it on
>>> the wiki

>>> I think it it the right location. Let's wait for other opinions though

>>> task, and I'll use this wiki page to report any progress and step done.
>>>
>>> The idea is, as discussed with Oliver and Armin, to reuse some Draw
>>> features in Writer, like (image rotation). There is a lot to do and any
>>> help is welcome.
>>>

>> Armin's and my idea is mainly removing the Writer implementation for
>> images/pictures, introduce all its features missing in the Drawing Layer
>> implementation for images/pictures and use the Drawing Layer implementation
>> for images/pictures in Writer. Our idea is quite old, but we never got the
>> resources to work on it. Unfortunately, all the work we had done in
>> preparation is lost. This lost work mainly covers something like you Regina
>> had done. It summarized all the features of the Writer implementation which
>> are currently not available in the Drawing Layer implementation. It also
>> contained some planning of the corresponding implementation. But, it is
>> lost and needs to be done again.
>
> Is it a CWS? If so, it might not really be lost. You will have to ask about
> the specific CWS, you may be surprised.

Unfortunately not. But I have found our wiki page -
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Writer/Unification_of_Graphic_Objects_and_Embedded_Objects

There is some work in CWS swrefactordlusage02 which I have started. But this
stuff is becoming to old and should be redone on the current code base from my
point of view.

Best regards, Oliver.

Re: Handling of pictures in Writer

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On May 8, 2012, at 4:12 AM, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 07.05.2012 18:20, eric b wrote:
>>
>> Le 7 mai 12 à 18:01, Regina Henschel a écrit :
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>

>> Hi Regina,
>>

>>> user often ask why they cannot rotate pictures in Writer, e.g issue 3545.
>>> There exists a tip to copy a picture from Draw to Writer, then it can be
>>> rotated. But that Draw-picture is different from a Writer- picture.
>>>
>>> I have made a table to collect the differences between Writer-pictures and
>>> Draw-pictures.
>>

>> Thanks a lot !
>>
>> FYI, there was a little mismatch with the issue number, and I fixed it on the wiki
>>

>>> It is currently in my personal area on the Media-wiki. If you find it useful
>>> and you know a suitable place, please tell me where to put it.
>>

>> I think it it the right location. Let's wait for other opinions though ...
>>

>>> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/User:Regina/ComparisonWriterDrawPicture
>>

>> That's a very good idea. As you probably read in the issue, I took over the
>> task, and I'll use this wiki page to report any progress and step done.
>>
>> The idea is, as discussed with Oliver and Armin, to reuse some Draw features in
>> Writer, like (image rotation). There is a lot to do and any help is welcome.
>>

> Armin's and my idea is mainly removing the Writer implementation for images/pictures, introduce all its features missing in the Drawing Layer implementation for images/pictures and use the Drawing Layer implementation for images/pictures in Writer.
> Our idea is quite old, but we never got the resources to work on it.
> Unfortunately, all the work we had done in preparation is lost. This lost work mainly covers something like you Regina had done. It summarized all the features of the Writer implementation which are currently not available in the Drawing Layer implementation. It also contained some planning of the corresponding implementation. But, it is lost and needs to be done again.

Is it a CWS? If so, it might not really be lost. You will have to ask about the specific CWS, you may be surprised.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Kevin Grignon <ke...@gmail.com>.
Oliver,

Feel free to call on AOO User Experience for support with the usage
scenarios, task flow analysis, interaction design and user feedback.

I'll leave to coding to the experts :)

Regards,
Kevin

AOO User Experience Designer

Posted by eric b <er...@free.fr>.
Hi Oliver,

Le 9 mai 12 à 21:46, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann a écrit :

> The work is not completely lost.
> I have found the wiki page http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/
> Writer/Unification_of_Graphic_Objects_and_Embedded_Objects

Thanks a lot for the precious link !

> It contains more or less the summary of the ideas from Armin,
> Oliver Specht, Henning Brinkmann and myself regarding our idea to
> remove the Writer implementation for pictures/images/graphics and
> embedded object in favor of the Drawing Layer implementations.
> There are also given some details on the planned implementation.

OK.

This is really informative, and more precise. I'll everything
carefully, to check the concerned files and I'll try to improve the
content iteratively.

@Regina : is it ok to start from that page ?  Next step could be to
create a documentation of the concerned code with Doxygen (e.g.)  ?

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by eric b <er...@free.fr>.
Le 7 mai 12 à 18:01, Regina Henschel a écrit :

> Hi all,

Hi Regina,