Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr> on 2016/06/06 06:26:13 UTC

colorized Maven output

Hi,

As you may have noticed, I created a MNG-3507 branch.
The idea here is to develop colorization not at slf4j implementation level,
but in core (and later plugins): slf4j implementation is only responsible for
DEBUG/INFO/WARNING/ERROR colorization, core and plugins are responsible for
messages.

I implemented message colorization that J Dillon did in slf4j-gossip: the only
part I still didn't do is the stacktrace enhancement.
Batch mode disables color: we can choose to create specific CLI options later
if we prefer.
And the most important is that core provides jansi to plugins: any plugin
using jansi benefits from jansi configuration (mainly enable/disable color)

As a proof of concept, I implemented color output in core ITs invoker [1]: if
run with older Maven, color is always on (since core doesn't provide
configured jansi), but if run with the branch, the plugin has color
deactivated in batch mode.
As you can see, also, Jenkins doesn't display ansi code nicely [2]...

I also updated some IT test code to strip ansi codes [3] and not choke with
color on.

I still need to test on Windows, if nobody beats me at it.

If nobody objects, I'll merge code to master and update slf4j-gossip
accordingly (a lot of features are now in core): the discussion on changing
default slf4j implementation will happen a little bit later.

Regards,

Hervé

[1] http://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/maven-integration-testing/commit/13bd5416

[2] https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/core-integration-testing-maven-3-embedded/7280/console

[3] http://svn.apache.org/r1746888

Re: colorized Maven output

Posted by Arnaud Héritier <ah...@gmail.com>.
\o/

On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 8:39 AM, Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>
wrote:

> here it is:
> I merged Christian fix
> and I managed to make ITs run as embedded (ASF Jenkins should confirm what
> works on my machine)
>
> if everything goes well, I'll merge to master tonight
>
> Regards,
>
> Hervé
>
> Le jeudi 9 juin 2016 09:20:38 Christian Schulte a écrit :
> > Am 06/09/16 um 09:04 schrieb Petar Tahchiev:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I checked on Windows with Herve's [1]. Unfortunately I am unable to
> build
> > >
> > > my project with 3.4.0-SNAPSHOT. I have this dependency:
> > >             <dependency>
> > >
> > >                 <groupId>org.drools</groupId>
> > >                 <artifactId>drools-bom</artifactId>
> > >                 <type>pom</type>
> > >                 <version>${drools.version}</version>
> > >                 <scope>import</scope>
> > >
> > >             </dependency>
> > >
> > > where drools version is defined to be
> > > <drools.version>6.4.0.Final</drools.version>. And when I build it I
> get:
> > >
> > > [ERROR] Non-resolvable import POM: Failure to find
> > > org.kie:kie-bom:pom:${project.version} in
> http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/
> > > was cached in the local repository, resolution will not be reattempted
> > > until the update interval of official-m2-repo has elapsed or updates
> are
> > > forced @ org.drools:drools-bom:[unknown-version]
> > > [org.drools:drools-bom:[unknown-version]],
> > >
> [C:\Users\e-tahchpet\.m2\repository\org\drools\drools-bom\6.4.0.Final\droo
> > > ls-bom-6.4.0.Final.pom], line 27, column 19
> >
> > Could be a regression due to MNG-5971. It's reproducible here. Thanks
> > for testing a SNAPSHOT Maven version.
> >
> > > If I comment this dependency then I see some colors on windows, but at
> the
> > > end of the build findbugs will break:
> > >
> > > [ERROR] Failed to execute goal
> > > org.codehaus.mojo:findbugs-maven-plugin:3.0.1:findbugs (findbugs) on
> > > project bom: Unable to parse configuration of mojo
> > > org.codehaus.mojo:findbugs-maven-plugin:3.0.1:findbugs for parameter
> > > pluginArtifacts: Cannot assign configuration entry 'pluginArtifacts'
> with
> > > value '${plugin.artifacts}' of type
> > > java.util.Collections.UnmodifiableRandomAccessList to property of type
> > > java.util.ArrayList -> [Help 1]
> >
> > That's already fixed upstream and will be fixed in the next FindBugs
> > plugin release.
> >
> > <
> https://github.com/gleclaire/findbugs-maven-plugin/commit/7954b94eff5c6b052
> > 4e7fe26d8f114b3c5450b86>
> >
> > Regards,

-----
Arnaud Héritier
http://aheritier.net
Mail/GTalk: aheritier AT gmail DOT com
Twitter/Skype : aheritier

Re: colorized Maven output

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
here it is:

Re: colorized Maven output

Posted by Christian Schulte <cs...@schulte.it>.
Am 06/09/16 um 09:04 schrieb Petar Tahchiev:
> Hello,
>
> I checked on Windows with Herve's [1]. Unfortunately I am unable to build
> my project with 3.4.0-SNAPSHOT. I have this dependency:
>
>             <dependency>
>                 <groupId>org.drools</groupId>
>                 <artifactId>drools-bom</artifactId>
>                 <type>pom</type>
>                 <version>${drools.version}</version>
>                 <scope>import</scope>
>             </dependency>
>
> where drools version is defined to be
> <drools.version>6.4.0.Final</drools.version>. And when I build it I get:
>
> [ERROR] Non-resolvable import POM: Failure to find
> org.kie:kie-bom:pom:${project.version} in http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/
> was cached in the local repository, resolution will not be reattempted
> until the update interval of official-m2-repo has elapsed or updates are
> forced @ org.drools:drools-bom:[unknown-version]
> [org.drools:drools-bom:[unknown-version]],
> [C:\Users\e-tahchpet\.m2\repository\org\drools\drools-bom\6.4.0.Final\drools-bom-6.4.0.Final.pom],
> line 27, column 19

That's fixed on 'master' now.

<https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=maven.git;a=commit;h=a6d52372afddb56a5ca6cc1ef095c32f622eddb6>

<https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=maven-integration-testing.git;a=commit;h=d889c215aa88a9e230d0b06b455baa8fde3fb803>

Re: colorized Maven output

Posted by Christian Schulte <cs...@schulte.it>.
Am 06/09/16 um 09:04 schrieb Petar Tahchiev:
> Hello,
>
> I checked on Windows with Herve's [1]. Unfortunately I am unable to build
> my project with 3.4.0-SNAPSHOT. I have this dependency:
>
>             <dependency>
>                 <groupId>org.drools</groupId>
>                 <artifactId>drools-bom</artifactId>
>                 <type>pom</type>
>                 <version>${drools.version}</version>
>                 <scope>import</scope>
>             </dependency>
>
> where drools version is defined to be
> <drools.version>6.4.0.Final</drools.version>. And when I build it I get:
>
> [ERROR] Non-resolvable import POM: Failure to find
> org.kie:kie-bom:pom:${project.version} in http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/
> was cached in the local repository, resolution will not be reattempted
> until the update interval of official-m2-repo has elapsed or updates are
> forced @ org.drools:drools-bom:[unknown-version]
> [org.drools:drools-bom:[unknown-version]],
> [C:\Users\e-tahchpet\.m2\repository\org\drools\drools-bom\6.4.0.Final\drools-bom-6.4.0.Final.pom],
> line 27, column 19

Could be a regression due to MNG-5971. It's reproducible here. Thanks
for testing a SNAPSHOT Maven version.

> If I comment this dependency then I see some colors on windows, but at the
> end of the build findbugs will break:
>
> [ERROR] Failed to execute goal
> org.codehaus.mojo:findbugs-maven-plugin:3.0.1:findbugs (findbugs) on
> project bom: Unable to parse configuration of mojo
> org.codehaus.mojo:findbugs-maven-plugin:3.0.1:findbugs for parameter
> pluginArtifacts: Cannot assign configuration entry 'pluginArtifacts' with
> value '${plugin.artifacts}' of type
> java.util.Collections.UnmodifiableRandomAccessList to property of type
> java.util.ArrayList -> [Help 1]

That's already fixed upstream and will be fixed in the next FindBugs
plugin release.

<https://github.com/gleclaire/findbugs-maven-plugin/commit/7954b94eff5c6b0524e7fe26d8f114b3c5450b86>

Christian Schulte

Re: colorized Maven output

Posted by Petar Tahchiev <pa...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

[...]

BTW, my opinion is that this colorized output is a great feature, but we're
missing on some more important stuff - for example at the moment changing
the log level per plugin is not possible. I'm writing a custom maven plugin
which uses flyway and flyway produces a lot of output noise that I want to
get rid of, but I am unable to, because flyway uses SLF4J, and because
maven provides simple logger, flyway in my maven plugin uses the simple
logger from maven. And the only way to change the simple logger level is to
the tell the client to change his values in simplelogger.properties file in
his $MAVEN_HOME which is really unacceptable. It would be great if any
maven plugin can control the log level output.

> You can download a binary build from Jenkins [1] that works for me even on
> Windows
>
> I created 2 jobs:
> - one in forked mode, that works [2]
> - one in embedded mode, which shows 14 errors & 29 failures [3]
>
> I don't know why embedded mode fails: still need to investigate.
> But as forked mode shows, as a normal user, this branch should work
> perfectly.
>
> Feedback appreciated, both on embedded failures investigation and on normal
> use of the build.
>
> Regards,
>
> Hervé
>
> [1]
> https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/core-integration-testing-maven-3-embedded-MNG-3507-color/ws/maven-3-trunk/apache-maven/target/
>
> [2]
> https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/core-integration-testing-maven-3-jdk-1.7-MNG-3507-color/2/console
>
> [3]
> https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/core-integration-testing-maven-3-embedded-MNG-3507-color/1/console
>

> Le mardi 7 juin 2016 00:41:11 Hervé BOUTEMY a écrit :
> > I tried on Windows: it does not work yet
> >
> > Th eissue I'm facing is: we need to call AnsiConsole.systemInstall() for
> > Windows
> > But if this call is added in MavenCli.doMain(), core ITs fail since
> there is
> > confusion on System.out replacements...
> >
> > I still didn't find any way to avoid this confusion: if somebody has an
> > idea...
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Hervé
> >
> > Le lundi 6 juin 2016 16:15:48 Petar Tahchiev a écrit :
> > > Sorry, I got confused by this: "if run with older Maven, color is
> always
> > > on".
> > >
> > > I will try it later.

> 0.425

> C:\workspace\maven-integration-testing\core-it-support\maven-it-helper\t

> can
> https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/AnsiColor+Plugin

> get
> which

> Tomitriber

> >:

> CLI

> not

> discussion

> http://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/maven-integration-testing/commit/

> https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/core-integration-testi

> http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x19658550C3110611

Regards, Petar!
Karlovo, Bulgaria.
---

Re: colorized Maven output

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.

Re: colorized Maven output

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.

Re: colorized Maven output

Posted by Petar Tahchiev <pa...@gmail.com>.

Re: colorized Maven output

Posted by Tamás Cservenák <ta...@cservenak.net>.

Re: colorized Maven output

Posted by Petar Tahchiev <pa...@gmail.com>.

Re: colorized Maven output

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
great hint: it was already available in ASF Jenkins but I didn't see

I activated it and ran the tests: you can see the miracle result!
https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/core-integration-testing-maven-3-embedded/7281/console

(notice that the output colorization is done at plugin level, not from Maven
core since the build is done from Maven 3.0.x which does not support color)

Regards,

Hervé

Re: colorized Maven output

Posted by jieryn <ji...@gmail.com>.

Re: colorized Maven output

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
Le lundi 6 juin 2016 08:33:01 Romain Manni-Bucau a écrit :
> Hi Hervé,
>
> would it be possible to enhance this with such features:
>
> 1. make colors configurables through a user config (~/.m2/settings.xml? or
> colors.xml)
I would prefer avoiding creating something complex if we can avoid it: are you
sure this is necessary?

> 2. make color config regex friendly. The idea is to be able to get a
> coloration like https://github.com/rmannibucau/maven-color which depends
> what is shown and not only the level?
no: the idea of MNG-3507 branch is to avoid that

In slf4j-gossip implementation J Dillon did, color is done by post-processing
logging messages: here, such regex would make sense

But MNG-3507 is about avoiding such logging message post-processing: instead
Maven core highlights core tracking, and each plugin highlights its own
messages, directly in the plugin

This is exactly because of that completely different opposite that I wanted to
share: do you think slf4j implementation-specific post-processing is a better
alternative than in-plugin color support (coordinated from Maven core)?

> Anyway thanks for moving forward this feature expected for too long by a
> LOT of users!
I really like the output prepared by J Dillon: now I build with it and I want
to have it integrated!!!

thanks for your feedback: we need it to make a great long-expected feature

Regards,

Hervé

Re: colorized Maven output

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.