Posted to dev@openjpa.apache.org by Donald Woods <dw...@apache.org> on 2009/02/24 17:37:44 UTC

Re: Eclipse Plugin for OpenJPA

No idea.  It had already been created before I started working on Geronimo.

 From the ASF page -
    http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#incubator
it sounds like sub-projects should go through the incubator, so maybe we
should just create a branch for tooling under the existing openjpa
project and just handle it just as another OpenJPA binary release with
its own JIRA component for bug/feature tracking and not deal with the
sub-project process overhead for now.

-Donald

Posted by Pinaki Poddar <pp...@apache.org>.
Hi,
  I am still in the process of figuring out how to build this stuff without
the help of Eclipse PDE.
Will get the legal issues surely sorted out once we get the mechanics right.

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 7:03 AM, Craig L Russell <Cr...@sun.com> wrote:

> On Feb 24, 2009, at 11:31 AM, Bill Stoddard wrote:
>
>> Donald Woods wrote:
>>>
>>> No idea.  It had already been created before I started working on
>>> Geronimo.
>>>
>>> From the ASF page -
>>>  http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#incubator
>>> it sounds like sub-projects should go through the incubator, so maybe we
>>> should just create a branch for tooling under the existing openjpa project
>>> and just handle it just as another OpenJPA binary release with its own JIRA
>>> component for bug/feature tracking and not deal with the sub-project process
>>> overhead for now.

FWIW with subversion, i tend to prefer (where possible) to create a
new area and use svn:externals to pull in the current code

>> No need to go through the incubator to create a tooling sub-project for
>> OpenJPA.   Maybe 'sub-project' is not quite the right term here, but the
>> point is that the OpenJPA team can carve out svn space to develop and
>> maintain OpenJPA Eclipse tooling and you can package/release that stuff
>> however you see fit (usual caveats apply). No need for incubator foo here...
>
> +1

+1

note that (of course) any code imports need to register the paperwork
using the lightweight procedure on
http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/index.html

- robert

Re: Eclipse Plugin for OpenJPA

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
On Feb 24, 2009, at 11:31 AM, Bill Stoddard wrote:

> Donald Woods wrote:
>> No idea.  It had already been created before I started working on
>> Geronimo.
>>
>> From the ASF page -
>>   http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#incubator
>> it sounds like sub-projects should go through the incubator, so
>> maybe we should just create a branch for tooling under the existing
>> openjpa project and just handle it just as another OpenJPA binary
>> release with its own JIRA component for bug/feature tracking and
>> not deal with the sub-project process overhead for now.
>>

> No need to go through the incubator to create a tooling sub-project
> for OpenJPA.   Maybe 'sub-project' is not quite the right term here,
> but the point is that the OpenJPA team can carve out svn space to
> develop and maintain OpenJPA Eclipse tooling and you can package/
> release that stuff however you see fit (usual caveats apply). No
> need for incubator foo here...

+1

Craig

> Bill
>
>> -Donald
>>

>> Pinaki Poddar wrote:
>>> Yup, I agree.
>>> Did this separate subproject require approval from Apache Board?

Craig L Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Re: Eclipse Plugin for OpenJPA

Posted by Bill Stoddard <wg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Pinaki Poddar <pp...@apache.org>.
Hello Craig,
  In this thread we are discussing possible options for hosting a Eclipse
plugin for OpenJPA. Most of the responses so far seem to suggest a
sub-project for OpenJPA. A sub-project that will will not tie down/alter
main OpenJPA project's build or release processes.

  Will you please comment what is a good option for hosting such a plugin
development? And if we go for a sub-project, what procedural steps, if any,
needs to be taken up with Apache Board?

  Regards --

Pinaki