Posted to log4cxx-dev@logging.apache.org by "Guri, Tomer" <To...@ncr.com> on 2015/04/28 09:45:53 UTC

Win 7 support

Hi All,

We are using log4cxx 0.10 and experience major slowdown of our system running on win 7 32 bit OS (6 times slower !).
We use only rolling file appender for writing logs.
Does anyone experienced something similar ?

Appreciate any input on this topic.

Best Regards,

[cid:image001.jpg@01D081A0.7FA4C680]Tomer Guri
Development Manager
NCR Corporation
office: +972-74-7756456  |  mobile: +972-54-6620832
tomer.guri@ncr.com<ma...@ncr.com>  |  www.ncr.com<http://www.ncr.com/>

Follow us on Twitter: @NCRCorporation, @NCR_Retail
Like us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ncrcorp, https://www.facebook.com/NCRRetail
Connect with us on LinkedIn: http://linkd.in/ncrgroup, https://www.linkedin.com/company/6454
Watch us on YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/ncrcorporation<http://www.youtube.com/user/ncrcorporation>, http://bit.ly/1jg5v7w
Visit us online: www.ncr.com<http://www.ncr.com/>

Re: Win 7 support

Posted by Thorsten Schöning <ts...@am-soft.de>.
Guten Tag Guri, Tomer,
am Dienstag, 28. April 2015 um 11:26 schrieben Sie:

> I am comparing apples to apples - same HW, same log4cxx version,
> same configuration, different OS (xp 32 bit vs win7 bit)

And same HW means you really installed Win7 bare metal and not a VM on the
XP host? Because in that case it's obviously not the same hardware. As
Win7 is on the market for years now and I don't experience any
performance problems with Win7 nor Win8.x using a slightly patched
0.10.0 myself, I don't believe there's a fundamental issue in log4cxx.
Additionally, most of the OS dependent things are implemented by APR
and not log4cxx.

As you already know that your software is 6 times slower now, what
exactly is the bottleneck? Did I/O load or latency increase or that of
the CPU, does rolling files take more time now, which strategy do you
use for rolling files... Does the problem occur with other appenders,
which don't use rolling file appender, but only log into one and the
same file? I'm able to log hundreds of MB with TRACE level that way.

If you don't know the bottleneck yet, find it using resource monitor
of Win7 to monitor load and I/O latency and Process Monitor to see
which file operations are executed by your application and how long
they take and such.

https://technet.microsoft.com/de-de/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Thorsten Schöning