Posted to alexandria-dev@jakarta.apache.org by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org> on 2002/01/25 01:35:31 UTC

Potential Gump Enhancement - Nth Order Dependencies

I noticed as I was updating dependencies for one of the packages I deal
with that the dependency cross reference produced by Gump:

  http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/gump/latest/xref.html

only lists "first order" dependencies (i.e. those explicitly declared in
the <project> element.  However, if you have the following set of
dependencies:

* A depends on B

* B depends on C

then there is an implicit second order dependency of A on C -- and it
would be useful to identify and report such second (and higher order)
dependencies in a report like this.  The required relationships should be
derivable from the data that is already available, so its MMP (merely a
matter of programming :-).

A common motivation for looking at cross references is to tell you all the
JARs you need on your class path, and the Nth order dependencies report
would tell you that.  It would also more accurately identify the set of
other packages that could potentially be broken by backwards-incompatible
API changes.

Has anyone thought about implementing anything like this yet?

Craig McClanahan

Re: Potential Gump Enhancement - Nth Order Dependencies

Posted by Scott Sanders <sa...@apache.org>.
I can give it a shot.
I am assuming that it is still just an XSLT manipulation, Sam?

Scott Sanders

Scott Sanders - sanders@apache.org