Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Oliver Lietz <ap...@oliverlietz.de> on 2016/02/22 10:49:58 UTC

jackrabbit-server [Re: svn commit: r1731592 - /sling/trunk/bundles/jcr/jackrabbit-server/pom.xml]

On Monday 22 February 2016 05:54:51 cziegeler@apache.org wrote:
> Author: cziegeler
> Date: Mon Feb 22 05:54:51 2016
> New Revision: 1731592

> Log:
> Use latst jcr.base snapshot
>
> Modified:
>     sling/trunk/bundles/jcr/jackrabbit-server/pom.xml
>
> Modified: sling/trunk/bundles/jcr/jackrabbit-server/pom.xml
> === --- sling/trunk/bundles/jcr/jackrabbit-server/pom.xml (original)
> +++ sling/trunk/bundles/jcr/jackrabbit-server/pom.xml Mon Feb 22 05:54:51
> 2016 @@ -167,7 +167,7 @@
>          <dependency>
>              <groupId>org.apache.sling</groupId>
>              <artifactId>org.apache.sling.jcr.base</artifactId>
> -            <version>2.3.1-SNAPSHOT</version>
> +            <version>2.3.3-SNAPSHOT</version>
>              <scope>provided</scope>
>          </dependency>

Hi Carsten,

as we do no longer support Jackrabbit shouldn't we move jackrabbit-server to
attic or contrib or simply remove it from SVN?

If we do we can straighten it-jackrabbit-oak which fails right now with latest
releases (AFAIR due to eventing/observation).

Regards,
O.

Re: jackrabbit-server [Re: svn commit: r1731592 - /sling/trunk/bundles/jcr/jackrabbit-server/pom.xml]

Posted by Oliver Lietz <ap...@oliverlietz.de>.
On Wednesday 24 February 2016 10:15:32 Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Oliver Lietz wrote
>
> >> We can move it to contrib for the time being
> >
> > Well, there was a discussion at dev@felix some months ago about moving to
> > Git successively and using one Git repo per module. I'm not sure what's
> > the current state there (@Benson: can you tell us?), but in my opinion
> > jackrabbit- server would be a perfect candidate to find out if it would
> > work for us without breaking anything.
> >
> > If you agree I would file an issue at infra and start moving
> > jackrabbit-server to Git.
>
> Sorry, but I don't understand the logic behind this. Why should we move
> a module which don't care about anymore to git? Shouldn't we rather have
> the modules we work on on git - if at all?

If we don't care we can remove it from SVN entirely.

If we do care (if we want our users to still work with it) we can move it to
contrib or attic. Or we can move it to Git (lock it in SVN) and use it as
guinea pig.

O.

btw, moving a module between bundles, contrib, attic or whatever will be just
adding/removing it to a different builder/reactor and/or (Google) repo in Git
- no move in SCM.

Posted by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 2016-02-25 at 20:39 +0100, Oliver Lietz wrote:
> > Yes, there are a couple of more things, and I have a script lying
> > around somewhere from the last big git migration that I went
> through.
>
> Robert, can you share your script?
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING-3987
>
> Thanks,
> O.

I will do that (hopefully by next week) but I need to clean up the
scripts first to remove some bits which are not needed here.

Robert

Re: jackrabbit-server [Re: svn commit: r1731592 - /sling/trunk/bundles/jcr/jackrabbit-server/pom.xml]

Posted by Oliver Lietz <ap...@oliverlietz.de>.

Posted by Chetan Mehrotra <ch...@gmail.com>.
May be its just me - But I find current setup of Sling and git svn on
client just fine for my usage and working in this project. So do not
see a compelling reason for switch with all the changes involved.

Intention is not to discourage other from trying - Just want to
mention my thoughts :)
Chetan Mehrotra

Posted by Oliver Lietz <ap...@oliverlietz.de>.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Oliver Lietz wrote

--
Carsten Ziegeler
Adobe Research Switzerland

Re: jackrabbit-server [Re: svn commit: r1731592 - /sling/trunk/bundles/jcr/jackrabbit-server/pom.xml]

Posted by Oliver Lietz <ap...@oliverlietz.de>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 10:22 PM, Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org> wrote:
> ...but before doing anything in
> that direction, we should be clear that we all agree on what the end
> result would be: a git repo per module....

Agreed.

-Bertrand

Re: jackrabbit-server [Re: svn commit: r1731592 - /sling/trunk/bundles/jcr/jackrabbit-server/pom.xml]

Posted by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Oliver Lietz <ap...@oliverlietz.de>.

Posted by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Oliver Lietz <ap...@oliverlietz.de>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Oliver Lietz <ap...@oliverlietz.de>.
On Wednesday 24 February 2016 09:51:09 Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 9:35 AM, Oliver Lietz <ap...@oliverlietz.de> wrote:
> > ...If you agree I would file an issue at infra and start moving
> > jackrabbit-server to Git...
>
> So we'd have some modules on Git and the rest in svn?
>
> I don't think it's a good idea.
>
> Moving to Git why not but we need to agree on a plan for that first -
> but having a mix is not good IMO.

We do have roughly 250 modules (and counting) in SVN and I don't think we can
switch at once. Starting with some uncritical modules and learn from them
seems to be a feasible way.

O.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,