Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Saifi Khan <sa...@tensorx.io> on 2016/08/21 11:50:59 UTC

Check for updates URL fails

Hi:

Working with the nightly build

AOO420m1(Build:9800)  -  Rev. 1755455
2016-08-09_04:31:06 - Rev. 1755554

When, i attempt to perform,

Help -> Check for Updates ...

A dialog box pops up, which after a couple of seconds notifies,

Status
Checking for an update failed.

Description
https://ooo-updates.apache.org/aoonext/check.Update?pkgfmt=archive does not exist.

Is there any alternative URL to use for the updates ?

Where, can i configure this ?

Thanks for any pointers.

thanks
Saifi.

RE: Spam (11.55):Re: Check for updates URL fails

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.

[ ... ]

> Is there any plan to support "auto updates" that provides as
> an example,
>
> * Critical security patches
> * Bug fix
> * Dictionary updates
> * Module update
> * library patch
>
> The idea is that, user doesn't have to download the next big
> release. It's just a rolling update that perhaps require a
> restart of the Apache Open Office Suite.
>
> Thanks once again.

[orcmid]

There is definite interest in incremental updates and also improving the deployment of binaries generally, especially for Windows.

This is not a short-term undertaking.

Ultimately, one way to handle this for Windows and MacOSX is to distribute via the respective Store systems, where updating is done in the standard manner for those platforms.

Whatever the approach, it will be a significant change in the implementation of deployment of Apache OpenOffice, and has to be undertaken in careful steps.  We also need more experts in this specialized area of software construction.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Saifi Khan wrote:
> Is there any plan to support "auto updates" that provides as
> an example,
> * Critical security patches
> * Bug fix
> * Dictionary updates
> * Module update
> * library patch

We have two kind of updates: application updates and extension updates.

Application updates now require the full re-download and reinstall. Work
towards providing binary patches has been done long ago, but is now
discontinued: I have to say that it is not a common request from users.

Extension updates (including dictionaries) support both "silent" (no
explicit download needed, you just confirm it within OpenOffice) and
"manual" updates. They are set to manual on the Extensions site for
technical issues, but this might change.

Of course, if you have some development expertise and want to help with
the above, you are welcome to join! In that case, the "dev" mailing list
is a better place for these discussions.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Check for updates URL fails

Posted by Saifi Khan <sa...@tensorx.IO>.
On Sun, 21 Aug 2016, Andrea Pescetti wrote:

> Saifi Khan wrote:
>>  Working with the nightly build
>>  AOO420m1(Build:9800)  -  Rev. 1755455
>>  ... Description
>>  https://ooo-updates.apache.org/aoonext/check.Update?pkgfmt=archive does
>>  not exist.
>>  Is there any alternative URL to use for the updates ?
>
> No. This is by design. Our released version contain valid update URLs. Our
> development versions (like the nightly build you downloaded) do not have
> supported update channels. When you wish to update them, just uninstall or
> remove the previous development version and install the newer one.
>
>>  Where, can i configure this ?
>
> This can be configured in a file named versionrc (under Windows the name is
> versionrc.ini or version.ini). But in your case there is no meaningful value
> to put there, as explained above.
>
> Regards,
>   Andrea.

Thanks Andrea for the clarification of the appropriate usecase
for update URL.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.