Posted to dev@openjpa.apache.org by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de> on 2015/07/08 21:57:23 UTC

OpenJPA finally fully builds with Java8

I finally removed a 2 deprecated classes and fixed a few coercion issues regarding generics. Now we can finally build OpenJPA with Java8.
Which means we might now even setup a CI job with java8?

LieGrue,
strub

Re: OpenJPA finally fully builds with Java8

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
think we need to still require java 7 for jpa 2.1 at least

Romain Manni-Bucau
<http://www.tomitribe.com>

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
Well yes and no :)

You can now build OpenJPA with Java8 but for a release we MUST still build with Java6. This is because if you compile against the rt.jar from Java8 then you will get different byte code. And this byte code wont run on a java6 nor java7 [1].

A valid aproach would be to use the maven toolchain and compile certain parts with java8 and others with java7 [2].
A sample usage can be seen in tame [3][4][5].

LieGrue,
strub

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OWB-952
[2] https://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-using-toolchains.html