Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Zamek <za...@vili.pmmf.hu> on 2003/08/21 13:23:58 UTC

debugging sendmail?

Hi All,

I would like to send a mail  from my machine to my server with TemplateMail,
but my server cannot accept it:
       javax.mail.SendFailedException: 550 relaying to <za...@vili.pmmf.hu>
prohibited by administrator

It may be something is missing, but I cannot debug it. I tried to set debug
with setDebug(true), but nothing happened. And I tried to log it with
TemplateMail.toString(), and I get a StackOverflow exception.

Are there any method to see what does it send to server?

--
thx,
Zoltan Zidarics programmer

Re: debugging sendmail?

Posted by Philip Wachtel <su...@wachtel.us>.
Seems like the mail server is configured to prevent open relaying, which is
good.  This prevents spammers from using the server for their sinister
needs:

There are a few legitimate ways of gaining access to a protected SMTP
server.
1. If you're sending mail to a real account on that server, it should accept
it.
2. Some servers require SMTP Authentication, which most clients now support.
I'm not sure how TemplateMail would deal with it.
3. Some servers are set up for "POP first" authentication.  This means that
the client always checks POP mail using an account on the server.  The
server recognizes the POP login and stores the client's IP temporarily.
Then, the server allows all subsequent SMTP access attempts from that IP for
a period of time.  So, in short, you would have to pop mail from your server
using a valid account and then try to send mail.

The bottom line is that I think the problem you're having is probably with
the server.

Good luck,
Philip

Re: debugging sendmail?