Posted to dev@spamassassin.apache.org by Thomas Schulz <sc...@adi.com> on 2014/06/02 16:11:30 UTC

Re: sa-update NOT updating.

If they have not yet put the disk drive from the failed machine in the
trash, there are data recovery companies who can usually get the data
off of a fried disk drive.

> On 5/27/2014 3:47 PM, John Goubeaux wrote:
> > Thanks guys,
> >
> > Yes, I was aware that an exit code of   "1" IS normal when No New
> > updates are available, But I assumed that the fact that this was going
> > on for so long might indicate another problem was occurring.
> Good time for an update to the users list about the issue.  The box that
> processed the updates at the ASF collo failed catastrophically during a
> power surge that took down some other boxes as ell. Unfortunately, while
> the project requested backups in 2009, they were not implemented.
>
> Since that crash, I've recovered a lot of the data and rebuilt several
> of the services from the data recovery, rsync backups and svn data.  I
> also had the new box increased by 100GB in diskspace thanks to Jan
> Iverson with Infra because I was spending too much time manipulating
> data due to low space.
>
> Yesterday, I spent some time as well and Joes4 from Infra agreed to try
> to recovered the crontab/spools today though he is not hopeful.
> Otherwise, luckily I have cron logs and I think I've identified most of
> the scripts that run from cron.
>
> So at this point, I will soon have exhausted all of the attempts to
> recover without going to the next phase which is to try and reverse
> engineer the cron jobs.  The hardest part is that there are multiple
> iterations of the various pieces of the masscheck system that have been
> put in place so I have to figure out in some cases, which one is the
> right piece.
>
> And at the same time, I've been properly documenting the changes to the
> underlying system so should I get hit by a bus, the system can be
> rebuilt without me.
>
> > Apparently the sought.rules.yerp.org  channel is also not being
> > regularly updated either ?
> Sought is technically not a project ruleset but I think I now have
> access to all the boxes to get it running again.  Alex Broens has
> offered to help so I hope to get him that info soon.  It's a second
> priority after the rebuild of the zones box.
> >
> > Are there any other recommended  rule channels to use ?
>
> I would recommend this rule set though I do not publish it as a channel
> though some (thanks Gushi) have attempted to help me do so:
> http://www.pccc.com/downloads/SpamAssassin/contrib/KAM.cf
>
> Regards,
> KAM

Tom Schulz
Applied Dynamics Intl.
schulz@adi.com

Re: sa-update NOT updating.

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <KM...@PCCC.com>.
On 6/2/2014 10:11 AM, Thomas Schulz wrote:
> If they have not yet put the disk drive from the failed machine in the
> trash, there are data recovery companies who can usually get the data
> off of a fried disk drive.
Of course but I doubt that's in the stars at this time.

regards,
KAM