Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Andy Meadows <an...@meadowsdesign.cc> on 2002/12/23 16:19:55 UTC

Session not persistent - Was AIX JVM Bug?

On two separate boxes running AIX 4.3.3 and Java for AIX 1.3.1 (distributed
by IBM), I have run into a problem where session state is not being
persisted and it would seem that the servlet context is failing too.

My problem exists solely on AIX. Using Tomcat 4.1.x on Windows 2000 and
RedHat Linux 7.3 does not produce this problem (stated below).

A simple log dump indicates that the HttpServletRequest's
getRequestedSessionId is returning null. It's not a client issue however,
because two separate clients on two separate machines behave the same way --
they act properly when connecting to a Windows or Linux box, but
consistently
fail connecting to an AIX box.  Since the requested session id is null,
every request is resulting in a new session (at least that's the perceived
behavior).

I believe this to be a JVM problem as the only difference between all three
of these platforms is the provider of the VM: Sun for Windows and Linux, IBM
for AIX.

Has anyone seen anything like this or know where to go to find information.
IBM's DeveloperWorks site has been absolutely useless to me.

If you need more information, please ask.

Thanks in advance.  I've been stumped on this for a week.
Andy