Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com> on 2020/01/01 06:12:30 UTC

Re: Statistics re Apache NetBeans

NetBeans december 2019 statistics

--emi

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
Just adding some Snap stats.

NetBeans debuted on 2nd of January, 2019, Since then we reached ~18000
installations from this source. Unfortunately we do not know how many
active users we have, but it seems that a few thousand people got a new
computer, at least I hope that is the reason behind that in December the
number of installations has been dropped below 15000 by now.

Also the unpolished gem: netbeans-dev package is used about 10-14 people
over the globe. We had 38 weekly releases so far from that (well
sometimes it were more frequent than a week especially at the beginning
phase).

Posted by Jens Zurawski <jz...@diegurus.de>.
Most of the surveys are meaningless in any case. E.g.
https://pypl.github.io/IDE.html states:

"The Top IDE Index is created by analyzing how often IDEs' download page
are searched on Google"

Wow... so one can say: "In the crowd of people, who are too lazy or not
able to just go directly to the download site, Netbeans ranking is on
position 6". So I, for example, was never ever in this statistic. I'm
using Netbeans since many years now, and every version I've downloaded
was in going directly to netbeans.org (or now netbeans.apache.org) and
just downloaded it. And my colleagues are just using my downloads from
our local server, so they are also not part of the statistic. So what's
the point of such surveys? Honestly I don't know, for me it's at most a
curious fact in the domain of: useless facts ;-)

cu
Jens

--
jens zurawski
diegurus - zurawski zurawski poppl rohland GbR

kaspersweg 7b
26131 oldenburg

internet http://www.diegurus.de

tel +49(0)611 72437966

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message is intended only for the
person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential
and/or privileged material. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or
distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient,
please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the
original message.  If you are the intended recipient but do not wish to
receive communications through this medium, please so advise the sender
immediately.

Re: Statistics re Apache NetBeans

Posted by Zoran Sevarac <se...@gmail.com>.
How can we get that data?

Posted by Eirik Bakke <eb...@ultorg.com>.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Eirik Bakke <eb...@ultorg.com>.
> That would be good. But what would be that parameter? Would it be unique to installation, and is that anonymous?

The parameter would just be a boolean, e.g.:

https://netbeans.apache.org/nb/updates/11.1/updates.xml.gz?firstAutoupdateThisMonth=true

These URLs would show up in the update center's web server logs, together with the server-side request timestamp. To find the number of active monthly users, just grep for "firstAutoupdateThisMonth=true", and count the number of such requests per month.

No information about the client is submitted, and you wouldn't be able to identify any single client. But the totals for each month would still be correct (assuming clients set the firstAutoupdateThisMonth parameter correctly).

-- Eirik

Posted by Zoran Sevarac <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.

Posted by Zoran Sevarac <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by John Mc <mc...@gmail.com>.
I'd agree with Geertjan here, no point discussing it.

Also those statistics don't show anything, unique visitors to a site is not
users.

Regards

John

Posted by Zoran Sevarac <se...@gmail.com>.