Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Michael Miller <mi...@cloudant.com> on 2009/10/25 20:40:52 UTC

Couch in the wild: request for feedback

Hi All,

I should introduce myself to the list: I am one of the cofounders of
Cloudant.  Behind Adam Kocoloski's  lead we are actively contributing
to CouchDB and are currently deploying it at scale as a hosted service
for our alpha-customers.  We are co-sponsoring this week's
no:sql(east) conference in Atlanta (*) and I'll be giving my first
talk on CouchDB.  The talk is aimed squarely at telling the story of
couch in the wild, and I could use your help.  After a brief
description of couch and what makes it unique, I want to focus on what
it's like to use couch in production.  In particular:

- why did you choose couch?
- if you did not choose couch, what was the leading reason?
- what problem(s) does couch solve for your application?
- was couch a success for your needs?
- what are your top feature requests for future development?
- what do you love about couch?
- what do you hate about couch?
- AOB

I realize a lot of this information is available from the most recent
survey (**) but there has been a lot of action since that was
completed.  Any feedback that you can provide would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks, Mike

--
Mike Miller
mike@cloudant.com

(*) https://nosqleast.com/2009/
(**) http://survey.io/results/842d257419c0aab16450cb00cf930a99df7c4257

Re: Couch in the wild: request for feedback

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
On 28 Oct 2009, at 16:22, Vijay Raghunathan wrote:

>> - what are your top feature requests for future development?
> Speed, stability.  Rolling the features of the lounge into couch
> (especially the smartproxy).  Filtered changes (I think this is
> scheduled for .11 right?)

They are in 0.10.

Cheers
Jan

Re: Couch in the wild: request for feedback

Posted by Vijay Raghunathan <vi...@meebo-inc.com>.
On Sun, Oct 25, 2009 at 3:40 PM, Michael Miller <mi...@cloudant.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I should introduce myself to the list: I am one of the cofounders of
> Cloudant.  Behind Adam Kocoloski's  lead we are actively contributing to
> CouchDB and are currently deploying it at scale as a hosted service for our
> alpha-customers.  We are co-sponsoring this week's no:sql(east) conference
> in Atlanta (*) and I'll be giving my first talk on CouchDB.  The talk is
> aimed squarely at telling the story of couch in the wild, and I could use
> your help.  After a brief description of couch and what makes it unique, I
> want to focus on what it's like to use couch in production.  In particular:
>
> - why did you choose couch?
We needed to store tons of facts/profiles about millions of users.
These profiles are 'loosely' schema-ed, and we needed an efficient way
to query them.  As such, storing them in a relational db made little
sense.  I had played with document databases(Couchdb) a little and
they seemed like a better solution to our problem but we didn't want
to rely on amazon for this feature.  Couchdb seemed interesting.

> - if you did not choose couch, what was the leading reason?
There are still a few places where we'll need uniqueness constraints
on more than one field.

> - what problem(s) does couch solve for your application?
Fast, query-able datastore that can scale up to hundreds of millions
of documents.  Replication makes writing enabling failover seamless.
It's gotten so popular @ meebo that a lot of our internal dashboards
are written as couch-apps (our JS developers love that map/reduce is
implemented in JavaScript).

> - was couch a success for your needs?
Absolutely.  We're moving to a model where all of our data that would
be stored on a sharded mysql instances will be stored in couch
instead.

> - what are your top feature requests for future development?
Speed, stability.  Rolling the features of the lounge into couch
(especially the smartproxy).  Filtered changes (I think this is
scheduled for .11 right?)

> - what do you love about couch?
Scheme-less design means that we don't have to alter tables when
things inevitably change.  Views allow us to query the data the exact
way we want it.  Replication gives us the ability to
> - what do you hate about couch?
Now I need to learn erlang.

Posted by Chris Anderson <jc...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 8:55 PM, lenz <no...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> the missing "copy this document" button in futon

I agree we should make it easier to get patches into Futon.

BTW -- thanks for this thread, Mike.

--
Chris Anderson
http://jchrisa.net

Re: Couch in the wild: request for feedback

Posted by lenz <no...@googlemail.com>.
hi,

i'm lenz from iWantMyName, a New Zealand based domain registrar
targeting the US market and about to launch into the european market.

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 8:40 AM, Michael Miller <mi...@cloudant.com> wrote:
> - why did you choose couch?

when we started iwmn we looked around for new stuff - as you do when
starting from scratch - and played with many new things. CouchDB was
the one that made it into our design right from the beginning and we
did not regret it. starting out as a simple way to store user settings
it covers now nearly 80% of our database needs.

> - if you did not choose couch, what was the leading reason?

it was a bit rough around edges when we started with it - that was pre
0.8 ... we picked it nevertheless :-)

> - what problem(s) does couch solve for your application?

easy content management for everyone on the project. easy replication
for load balancing, easy interface to just fix stuff on the fly ...
relaxing overall experience :-)

> - was couch a success for your needs?

nope .. it was a huge boost in productivity, success is an
understatement here i guess ...

> - what are your top feature requests for future development?

reliable packaging, i guess it is key to get good packages for lots of
environments out

> - what do you love about couch?

simplicity

> - what do you hate about couch?

the missing "copy this document" button in futon

> - AOB

we use couch a lot and every time i touch code that still uses
postgres i tend to rewrite it for couchdb. that is not that i don't
like postgres, it is more that i can solve the same thing so much more
elegant in couch. the feedback i got from various talks down here was
pretty much the same, easy interface, easy to pick up and get going.
relaxing to work with.

cheers
lenz

--
iWantMyName.com
painless domain registration (finally)

Re: Couch in the wild: request for feedback

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
Hi Mike,

welcome to user@ :)

On 25 Oct 2009, at 20:40, Michael Miller wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I should introduce myself to the list: I am one of the cofounders of
> Cloudant.  Behind Adam Kocoloski's  lead we are actively
> contributing to CouchDB and are currently deploying it at scale as a
> hosted service for our alpha-customers.  We are co-sponsoring this
> week's no:sql(east) conference in Atlanta (*) and I'll be giving my
> first talk on CouchDB.  The talk is aimed squarely at telling the
> story of couch in the wild, and I could use your help.  After a
> brief description of couch and what makes it unique, I want to focus
> on what it's like to use couch in production.  In particular:

I'm trying to be objective :)

> - why did you choose couch?

I like simple systems. CouchDB uses the same concepts for data
storage, views, replication and compaction. It is extremely easy to
understand. And I'm a huge fan of web technologies :)

> - if you did not choose couch, what was the leading reason?

Sometimes, storing a few bytes to a file is the simplest thing you can
do :)

> - what problem(s) does couch solve for your application?

I want to develop software, not fight with databases. I've been doing
that for a long time and I'm just fed up. CouchDB frees me from a lot
of hassle and brings fun back into writing database backed applications.

> - was couch a success for your needs?

Totally :)

> - what are your top feature requests for future development?

Less obscure Erlang crash reports, easier view management, more
documentation.

> - what do you love about couch?

The Relax theme.

> - what do you hate about couch?

That it is different. People don't like change and it is hard to
explain that some change is good.

Cheers
Jan