Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Danushka Menikkumbura <da...@wso2.com> on 2008/05/05 05:06:27 UTC

Hi all,
    When I was going through the C++ Broker docs, I found there is a
section dedicated to loading extra modules. We can specify modules with
the option --load-module when we start the broker. Can someone tell me
what these modules are all about please?.

Danushka

Re: Loading Extra Modules

Posted by Danushka Menikkumbura <da...@wso2.com>.
Alan Conway wrote:
> Danushka Menikkumbura wrote:
>> Gordon Sim wrote:
>>>
>>> The modules are used for optional units of functionality that can be
>>> enabled (or not) at runtime. E.g. support for persistence is
>>> provided through a module.
>>>

>> Do we have the freedom of writing our own modules and couple them
>> with the broker dynamically?. If yes, is there some sort of an API
>> that we can make use of?
>>

> Yes - look at the interfaces in qpid/Plugin.h to see what a module
> needs to implement. There are a couple of examples in the code:
>
>  qpid/sys/TCPIOPlugin.cpp
>  qpid/cluster/ClusterPlugin.cpp
>
> Patches for improved API doc comments in Plugin.h will be gratefully
> received, also any features/improvements you find lacking for your
> plug-in project.

I am more than happy to go ahead with this as I am really keen on adding
functionality to the broker with the aid of plug-ins ;)

Danushka

Re: Loading Extra Modules

Posted by Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com>.

Re: Loading Extra Modules

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.
Danushka Menikkumbura wrote:
> Do we have the freedom of writing our own modules and couple them with
> the broker dynamically?. If yes, is there some sort of an API that we
> can make use of?

Theres no single API that clearly separates whats accessible to modules
at present, though we would I think like to get there. All plugins
should implement the qpid::Plugin interface. There may be other APIs for
specific functions (e.g. the MessageStore interface for persistence
modules).

Re: Loading Extra Modules

Posted by Danushka Menikkumbura <da...@wso2.com>.

Re: Loading Extra Modules