Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Andrew Le Quesne <an...@nexusalpha.com> on 2005/07/05 13:06:18 UTC

Problem starting cocoon webapp in Jetty

Hi,

I have just created a new cocoon web app (2.1.6). When I try to run it in
Jetty I get the error message displayed below. Can anybody explain what is
going wrong and suggest a possible fix. I am running java 1.4.1_03 and Jetty
version 4.2.9. Could it possibly be caused by a defective jar file??

        at org.mortbay.start.Main.invokeMain(Main.java:153)
        at org.mortbay.start.Main.start(Main.java:483)
        at org.mortbay.start.Main.main(Main.java:91)
Caused by: java.lang.NoSuchMethodError:
org.apache.xml.resolver.tools.CatalogRes
olver.<init>(Lorg/apache/xml/resolver/CatalogManager;)V
        at
org.apache.excalibur.xml.DefaultEntityResolver.<init>(DefaultEntityRe
solver.java:62)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.components.resolver.DefaultResolver.<init>(DefaultR
esolver.java:36)
Method)

        at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown
Source)

        at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown
Sou
rce)
        at java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Unknown Source)
        at
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.DefaultComponentFactory.newInst
ance(DefaultComponentFactory.java:179)
        at
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.ThreadSafeComponentHandler.init
ialize(ThreadSafeComponentHandler.java:108)
        at
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.ExcaliburComponentManager.looku
p(ExcaliburComponentManager.java:276)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.components.CocoonComponentManager.lookup(CocoonComp
onentManager.java:310)
        at
org.apache.avalon.framework.service.WrapperServiceManager.lookup(Wrap
perServiceManager.java:107)
        at
org.apache.excalibur.xml.impl.JaxpParser.service(JaxpParser.java:142)

        at
org.apache.avalon.framework.container.ContainerUtil.service(Container
Util.java:182)
        at
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.DefaultComponentFactory.newInst
ance(DefaultComponentFactory.java:255)
        at
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.pool.ResourceLimitingPool.newPoolable(Res
ourceLimitingPool.java:672)
        at
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.pool.ResourceLimitingPool.get(ResourceLim
itingPool.java:402)
        at
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.PoolableComponentHandler.doGet(
PoolableComponentHandler.java:198)
        at
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.ComponentHandler.get(ComponentH
andler.java:381)
        at
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.ExcaliburComponentManager.looku
p(ExcaliburComponentManager.java:277)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.components.CocoonComponentManager.lookup(CocoonComp
onentManager.java:310)
        at
org.apache.avalon.framework.service.WrapperServiceManager.lookup(Wrap
perServiceManager.java:107)
        at
org.apache.excalibur.xmlizer.DefaultXMLizer.toSAX(DefaultXMLizer.java
:119)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.components.source.SourceUtil.toSAX(SourceUtil.java:
166)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.TreeProcessor.configure(Tr
eeProcessor.java:203)
        at
org.apache.avalon.framework.container.ContainerUtil.configure(Contain
erUtil.java:240)
        at
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.DefaultComponentFactory.newInst
ance(DefaultComponentFactory.java:269)
        at
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.ThreadSafeComponentHandler.init
ialize(ThreadSafeComponentHandler.java:108)
        at
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.ExcaliburComponentManager.initi
alize(ExcaliburComponentManager.java:522)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.components.CocoonComponentManager.initialize(Cocoon
ComponentManager.java:541)
        at
org.apache.avalon.framework.container.ContainerUtil.initialize(Contai
nerUtil.java:283)
        at org.apache.cocoon.Cocoon.initialize(Cocoon.java:280)
        at
org.apache.avalon.framework.container.ContainerUtil.initialize(Contai
nerUtil.java:283)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.servlet.CocoonServlet.createCocoon(CocoonServlet.ja
va:1382)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.servlet.CocoonServlet.init(CocoonServlet.java:480)
        at
org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.start(ServletHolder.java:220)

        at
org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.initializeServlets(ServletHa
ndler.java:445)
        at
org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.WebApplicationHandler.initializeServlets(We
bApplicationHandler.java:150)
        at
org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.WebApplicationContext.start(WebApplicationC
ontext.java:458)
        at org.mortbay.http.HttpServer.start(HttpServer.java:663)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.Server.main(Server.java:429)
        ... 7 more

Re: Problem starting cocoon webapp in Jetty

Posted by Leszek Gawron <lg...@mobilebox.pl>.
Andrew Le Quesne wrote:
> thanks for your replies. Should you put endorsed folder for the xalan and
> xerces jars go in Jetty or the cocoon web app and what would be the specific
> path? Also, when I tried using
> org.apache.cocoon.servlet.ParanoidCocoonServlet it kept saying it couldn't
> find it.
anywhere you like. just remember to start your jetty instance with
additional parameter java.endorsed.libs set.

this is my ant target for running and debugging jetty:

> <target name="jetty:run" depends="jetty:init" description="run webapp on built-in jetty">
> 	<java classname="org.mortbay.jetty.Server" classpathref="jetty.cp" fork="true" dir="${build}">
> 		<jvmarg value="-Djava.endorsed.dirs=${lib.endorsed}"/>
> 		<jvmarg value="-Djetty.home=."/>
> 		<jvmarg value="-Dwebapp=webapp"/>
> 		<jvmarg value="-Dorg.xml.sax.parser=org.apache.xerces.parsers.SAXParser"/>
> 		<jvmarg value="-Dorg.apache.commons.logging.Log=org.apache.commons.logging.impl.SimpleLog"/>
> 		<jvmarg value="-Dorg.apache.commons.logging.simplelog.defaultlog=warn"/>
> 		<jvmarg value="-Dorg.apache.commons.logging.simplelog.log.org.mortbay=info"/>
> 		<jvmarg value="-Dorg.apache.commons.logging.simplelog.showlogname=false"/>
> 		<jvmarg value="-Dorg.apache.commons.logging.simplelog.showShortLogname=false"/>
> 		<arg value="etc/main.xml"/>
> 		<arg value="etc/admin.xml"/>
> 	</java>
> </target>
>
> <target name="jetty:debug" depends="jetty:init" description="run webapp on built-in jetty with DEBUG mode enabled">
> 	<java classname="org.mortbay.jetty.Server" classpathref="jetty.cp" fork="true" dir="${build}">
> 		<jvmarg value="-Xdebug"/>
> 		<jvmarg value="-Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,address=8000,server=y,suspend=n"/>
> 		<jvmarg value="-Djava.endorsed.dirs=${lib.endorsed}"/>
> 		<jvmarg value="-Djetty.home=."/>
> 		<jvmarg value="-Dwebapp=webapp"/>
> 		<jvmarg value="-Dorg.xml.sax.parser=org.apache.xerces.parsers.SAXParser"/>
> 		<jvmarg value="-Dorg.apache.commons.logging.Log=org.apache.commons.logging.impl.SimpleLog"/>
> 		<jvmarg value="-Dorg.apache.commons.logging.simplelog.defaultlog=warn"/>
> 		<jvmarg value="-Dorg.apache.commons.logging.simplelog.log.org.mortbay=info"/>
> 		<jvmarg value="-Dorg.apache.commons.logging.simplelog.showlogname=false"/>
> 		<jvmarg value="-Dorg.apache.commons.logging.simplelog.showShortLogname=false"/>
> 		<arg value="etc/main.xml"/>
> 		<arg value="etc/admin.xml"/>
> 	</java>
> </target>

cheers

RE: Problem starting cocoon webapp in Jetty

Posted by Jorg Heymans <jh...@domek.be>.

Posted by Leszek Gawron <lg...@mobilebox.pl>.