Posted to user@karaf.apache.org by sditlinger <st...@ditlinger.com> on 2015/03/09 15:31:55 UTC

Bundle not sync'ing

ServiceMix 5.4/Karaf 2.4.1/Cellar 2.3.4

Earlier REST services sync'ed to all nodes in cluster.

Now a SOAP service bundle-install'ed and bundle-start'ed on one node is not
installing to remote nodes.

It shows up in bundle-list output on the remote node, but not in the la
output on that node.

What would keep it from sync'ing completely?

Thanks,
Steve

Re: Bundle not sync'ing

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

if you install a bundle via a maven coordinate, this coordinate is
propagated to the other nodes, no binaries are transfered.
Btw. that's why a sync of the deploy folder doesn't work :-)
The repo which contains this maven artifact needs to be known to all nodes.
For this you can use the cluster:config* commands to share this
information.

If you want to make sure that a bundle is installed throughout the cluster
you usually should use the cluster:bundle-install command.
With the next version of cellar we disabled the default propagation of all
installed bundles due to some unwanted side effects that showed on a
multi-node cluster where one node is recovering.

regards, Achim

> OK, it turns out that the original services installed did have a copy of
> the
> maven repository on the remote node.  That must be the difference.
>
> Is it correct to say that remote nodes do require access to the
> installation
> maven repository when bundle-install'ing from a maven URL
> (mvn:groupID/artifactID/version) - that the bundle is not copied "over the
> wire" by Cellar from the node where it is originally installed?
>

> Steve

Apache Member
Project Lead
blog <http://notizblog.nierbeck.de/>

Re: Bundle not sync'ing

Re: Bundle not sync'ing

Posted by sditlinger <st...@ditlinger.com>.
More info - the logs on the remote machine are as shown below.

All services I have deployed were done using bundle-install using a maven
repository URL local to one node in the cluster. (i.e. bundle-install
myCluster mvn:com.company.soaim.services/pire-server/1.0-SNAPSHOT)

As the log snippet below shows, the remote node does not sync the new bundle
because it is looking for it in apache.snapshots.repo. Why is it looking
there and not just copying it from the node where the bundle was installed?
Does the remote node need to have access to the maven repository on the node
where the bundle was bundle-installed?  Previously-installed bundles did not
have this problem and they were installed using a URL from the same maven
repository. How can I fix this?

Thanks,
Steve

-------------------
Remote node log snippet:

2015-03-09 09:34:42,663 | WARN  | l Console Thread | AetherBasedResolver
| 4 - org.ops4j.pax.logging.pax-logging-api - 1.8.1 | Error resolving
artifactcom.company.soaim.services:pire-server:jar:1.0-SNAPSHOT:Could not
find artifact com.company.soaim.services:pire-server:jar:1.0-SNAPSHOT in
apache.snapshots.repo
(http://repository.apache.org/content/groups/snapshots-group/)
shaded.org.eclipse.aether.resolution.ArtifactResolutionException: Could not
find artifact com.company.soaim.services:pire-server:jar:1.0-SNAPSHOT in
apache.snapshots.repo
(http://repository.apache.org/content/groups/snapshots-group/)
Caused by: shaded.org.eclipse.aether.transfer.ArtifactNotFoundException:
Could not find artifact
com.company.soaim.services:pire-server:jar:1.0-SNAPSHOT in
apache.snapshots.repo
(http://repository.apache.org/content/groups/snapshots-group/)
2015-03-09 09:34:42,663 | ERROR | l Console Thread | BundleSynchronizer
| 217 - org.apache.karaf.cellar.bundle - 2.3.4 | CELLAR BUNDLE: failed to
pull bundle pirep-server/1.0.0.SNAPSHOT
org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Unable to cache bundle:
mvn:com.company.soaim.services/pire-server/1.0-SNAPSHOT