Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Simon Gottwald <si...@googlemail.com.INVALID> on 2018/09/05 07:18:41 UTC

License of specific fonts?

Hello and sorry to bother you with such a banal question! I couldn't
find any answer on the web nor in the documentation and none of the
mailing lists seemed to fit my question.

If I want to create a commercial publication, e.g. a magazine, with
OpenOffice Writer, do I have to keep anything in mind with regards to
the fonts contained and their licensing? i.e. do I have to acquire an
additional license from Microsoft if I want to use Calibri? Or can I
just use it in OpenOffice Writer as is, even for commercial publications?

Best Regards and sorry again!

Simon

Re: License of specific fonts?

Posted by "F C. Costero" <fj...@gmail.com>.
Hello Simon,
No one here or on any Apache web site can provide legal advice. See
https://opensource.com/article/17/11/open-source-and-fonts for a layman's
discussion of font licensing. What that article  seems to say is that
whether you can include the font when you distribute a document depends on
the license. For example, this Microsoft site (
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/typography/font-redistribution-licensing)
says you may not copy or redistribute their fonts, though they can be
embedded for certain uses. It seems you will have to think about just how
your writing will be distributed and then read the font licenses and check
with a lawyer if necessary.

Francis

Posted by toki <to...@gmail.com>.
On 2018-09-05 7:18 a.m., Simon Gottwald wrote:

> Hello and sorry to bother you with such a banal question!

It isn't a banal question.

I'm fairly confident that the overwhelming majority of font foundries
would rather people ask, and adhere to the terms of their license for a
specific font, or typeface, than use it in violation of their license.

> do I have to keep anything in mind with regards to the fonts contained and their licensing?

Typically, font licenses cover the usage of the final work product,
ignoring how it is created. The exceptions tend to be fonts that are
exclusively distributed with a specific software program.

Read the license for the specific font, and if you have questions about
usage, either talk to a solicitor, or directly contact the font foundry
that created the typefaces in question.

From my perspective, the only safe fonts to use, are those that are
distributed under _The SIL Open Font License 1.1_. _SIL Open Font
License 1.001 update 5_, released in April 2017, is the most recent
version of that license.

I am not a lawyer.
This is not legal advice.