Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Manfred Geiler <ma...@gmail.com> on 2007/11/21 13:37:43 UTC

Rendering "&" instead of "&" for href attribute

Please have a look at
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MYFACES-1774

Do you think there is a problem with generally rendering "&amp;" instead of "&"?
Issues with old browsers perhaps?

Thanks,
Manfred

Re: Rendering "&" instead of "&" for href attribute

Posted by simon <si...@chello.at>.
And in particular, as the Sun RI renders "&", it is nice to have the
option to be bug-compatible.

So in this case, I'm also in favour of making it configurable.

Simon

Posted by Andrew Robinson <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
I like mario's suggestion.

-M

On Nov 22, 2007 9:43 AM, Manfred Geiler <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, I thought about a config param as well. But I wanted to make it
> not too sophisticated and to introduce another piece for config hell.
> However, I can live with the config param as long as it defaults to true.
> BTW, I like the name "STRICT_XHTML_LINKS"
>
> What do others think?
>
> --Manfred
>

> On Nov 21, 2007 9:29 PM, Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at> wrote:
> > Hi!
> > > So, I propose to always render "&amp;" as it is recommended in the W3C
> > > HTML Spec.
> > >
> > I'd propose to make it configureable out of the box, a simple
> > context-param with default to &amp; - easy enough and will survive the
> > users from providing their own LinkRenderer.
> >
> > Something like: org.apache.myfaces.STRICT_XHTML_LINKS=true|false -
> > default=true
> >
> > Ciao,
> > Mario
> >

> --
> http://www.irian.at
> Your JSF powerhouse - JSF Consulting,
> Development and Courses in English and
> German

Matthias Wessendorf

further stuff:
mail: matzew-at-apache-dot-org

Re: Rendering "&" instead of "&" for href attribute

Posted by Manfred Geiler <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
Hi!

Posted by Manfred Geiler <ma...@gmail.com>.
yeah, but the renderer does not know if the current page rendered has
a html or a xhtml header.
So, I propose to always render "&amp;" as it is recommended in the W3C
HTML Spec.
All browsers SHOULD interpret it correctly. If not, it is definitely a
browser bug.
And if someone has an issue with an exotic browser, he/she should
derive his own LinkRenderer and overwrite this behaviour.

--Manfred

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.