Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by "Sangha, Kanwar" <Ka...@qwest.com> on 2005/07/06 07:59:40 UTC

Device Resolution, collabaration, JSP code generation, Drag and Drop

Hi All,

Need to know about the support jetspeed (version-2) provides for the
following:

I)Ability to detect device screen resolution and modify appearance and
flows to suit needs. (small screens might only support 1 portlet at a
time and this changes the site flow)

II)Supports collabaration ?

III)Supports automatic generation of JSP code ?

IV)Support for drag and drop between portlets ?

Thanks,
-Kanwar

AW: Device Resolution, collabaration, JSP code generation, Drag and Drop

Posted by Sven Thiergen <s....@itcampus.de>.
> Hi All,
>
> Need to know about the support jetspeed (version-2) provides for the
> following:
>
> I)Ability to detect device screen resolution and modify appearance
> and flows to suit needs. (small screens might only support 1 portlet
> at a time and this changes the site flow)

Hi Kanwar,

device screen resolution can not be automatically detected (at least this is
what I think). However in the SQL script "populate_db_default" - which gets
executed e.g. running "maven quickStart" - quite a few useragent regexp
patterns get added into the CLIENT table. Additionally there is an order of
evaluation for those regexp pattern. Such recognized CLIENTs get linked to
MIMETYPEs and MIMETYPEs to MEDIATYPEs (all in "populate_db_default").

Depending on a certain MEDIATYPE you may create folders in the
jetspeed/WEB-INF/pages/ directory; the name of the folder matching the
MEDIATYPE. In the different folders you may create *.psml files; so for a
group of useragents a certain PSML file gets loaded. Be aware, however, that
the currently logged on user (or "guest" if there's no user logged in) is
first in determining the folder structure where to find a *.psml file.

You may parse and evaluate the useragent String in your Portlet's or
Servlet's Request object (the latter being relevant when you use Jetspeed's
popular Struts bridge). There you may adapt you rendering, depending on what
you found. But of course it is recommended to use as much of Jetspeed's
prebuild capabilities as possible.

Additionally there is a project called DELI, which is much mightier in
finding out all kinds of device capabilities. I create d a JIRA request to
integrate DELI somehow into Jetspeed, however I did not find the time yet
for this, and neither did someone else:
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JS2-299

Sven.

Re: Open Source Portals Server Review

Posted by Jing Xue <jx...@digizenstudio.com>.
David Le Strat wrote:

>The J2 review has some rough aspects to it, but that's
>probably good feedback for us to incorporate:

Hi David,

I should admit that I'm the one responsible for those reviews. I'm glad
you took it the good way (and hopefully other Jetspeed folks out there
would too). That said, I have updated the blog entry to emphasize that
the version being evaluated is not a final release yet.

Thanks and look forward to M4!
--Jing

Open Source Portals Server Review

Posted by David Le Strat <dl...@yahoo.com>.
Some interesting post on open source portal servers.

http://jroller.com/page/portlets?entry=open_source_portal_server_selection

The J2 review has some rough aspects to it, but that's
probably good feedback for us to incorporate:

http://www.digizenstudio.com/blog/2005/07/06/open-source-portal-servers-3/

Regards,

David Le Strat.