Posted to dev@jclouds.apache.org by Andrew Phillips <ap...@qrmedia.com> on 2014/12/08 23:39:30 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] What is the criteria for something to be in the jclouds/jclouds repo?

> 1. So once an api meets the criteria of having a steward, being
> modern, and having a proper test suite, it can immediately be
> promoted?

Looks like Ignasi beat me to it - I was going to make points very much
along those lines.

About stewards: there has been a long and (it seems) heated
discussion on board@ about such positions of "special responsibility."
Our suggestion is not quite the same - the board@ discussion talks
about an additional criterion that the steward would have to approve
any change to that part of the codebase - but it made me wonder
whether this is a good idea and really in line with the Apache Way.

My current thinking is that this is *not* something we should be
doing, as it risks implying:

a) that certain people have "more" responsibility for a part of the
code than others and
b) in consequence, that "the rest" has *less* responsibility for that
part of the code

We already have a significant challenge in ensuring widely-used parts
of the jclouds codebase remain usable (never mind up-to-date!) because
there are no obvious "stewards" and, more importantly, the rest of the
committer base (me included) evidently do not consider it "essential
enough" to put time into fixing things.

To me, this is an absolutely critical issue to address, more so even
than figuring out when or if to promote a provider or API. *All of
jclouds is the code and the responsibility of the entire community -
not only the bits we as individuals find most interesting.*

To that end, I would like to avoid any notion that we nominate certain
people to take care of parts of the code more than others.

I'd be very interested to hear what others with experience of more
Apache projects have to say here.

Regards

ap