Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Vjeran Marcinko <vj...@tis.hr> on 2005/05/11 09:57:21 UTC

Tapestry's Simplicity Blues

Hi everyone.

This last post of mine about default bindings, and also some work that I do
currently gave way to little chiming about Tapestry's simplicity (or
complexity), and simplicity in general.... I will try to stress out
importance of simplicity.

Knowledge is good. Gaining knowledge about piece of software such as
Tapestry is good. But there's one bad thing that happens when you gain
knowledge - you easily start to forget how was the time when you didn't have
it. How was to be newbie? And newbies have to learn. They appreciate simple
things. They don't want to subscribe to mailing list to ask about problems.
They want to read UserGuide, a short one, and start working. One has to take
care of newbies, because 70% developers are them.

Tapestry is powerful. But it is quite complex. I know that someone could say
that it's because of different way of thinking than typical request-driven
MVC aproach, but believe me, it's complex. I remember myself beggining with
it 1,5 years ago.

Now that I look at it, one cause of complexity was because of Tapestry's way
to offer multiple ways of doing things.
At first, it looks cool when you get provided with multiple options, but
hey, multiple options take time to learn compared with single option. One
could say that you don't have to learn option that you don't like, but
during development one has to look at other people's stuff, co-workers
stuff, tutorials on the web etc.... And these pieces of software has maybe
picked other option that you didn't, which you have to learn to understand
it. At the end, you have to learn whole Tapestry to be able to handle it
properly.

Here are the examples:
- ActionLink and DirectLink : former is *kind of* deprecated, but not
really, so we still have it in framework
- manual and automatic handling of properties: I hate "abstract" keyword
used for
this, but it's much easier sometimes
- implicit and explicit components
- setting binding values (my last post) in 3 ways
- PageRenderListener and overriding prepareForRender(): both for single
purpose-> pre-render initialization (depends whether it is page or
component)
- Foreach and ListEdit
- manual field validation, or using ValidField in some cases (when working
with text fields)
..and probably some others...

Of course, adding new options made work so much easier in some cases, thus
it was reason to import them into framework. So, you gain more power, but
you gain more complexity. It's maybe best to look through User Guide. If
newbie suddenly comes upon one whole page of documentation, whereas there
was half of it in the last version of software, then you surely have lost
some quality. So sometimes it has to be asked - was it worth it?

Of course, plenty of things become more powerful *and* simplier in new
versions: For component unifying Foreach and ListEdit, removal of
"direction" is totaly awesome, etc...

Inspiration for this post came this morning, when I was writing UserGuidefor
my remoting library that is supose to be distributed to third-party
companies. I thought documentation will be quite short considering that
library is very simple to use. But when I started writing it, I realized I
forgot to include "Logging" section because I assumed everyone knows what
Commons-Logging is. But suddenly I realized that bunch of people in
big-corporate companies, with vanilla programmers, never even heard of it,
thus I needed to include this section. Then more of this things kept coming
in, and I had to force myself to think the way newbie does.

Cheers,
Vjeran

Re: Tapestry's Simplicity Blues

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
On May 12, 2005, at 9:43 PM, Ben Eng wrote:
>> In your terms my post-listener
>> event is fired only if the original listener succeed without thrown
>> an exception or if throws Page/RedirectException.  I don't think an
>> "after" listener event could be coded in your contribution to do
>> that.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.
>>

> The "after" listener event is fired in a finally, so it should be
> ok. Perhaps it would be worthwhile catching any exception and passing
> it in the event.

But that isn't ok in my use-case.  I do not want the after listener
fired in the event of an error.  However, there are two exceptions
which are not errors - PageRedirectException and RedirectException.
See what I mean?

Alternatively, as you mention if the after event could be given the
exception to base its behavior on, that would also work in my case.

Again, it's ultimately up to Howard on whether your approach is the
right fit for 4.0 or not.  It would seem that a HiveMind interceptor
scheme would be a more integrated fit for 4.0.

     Erik

Re: Tapestry's Simplicity Blues

Posted by Ben Eng <be...@jetpen.com>.
On Wed, May 11, 2005 at 07:59:23PM -0400, Erik Hatcher wrote:

> On May 11, 2005, at 5:02 PM, Ben Eng wrote:
>
> >On Wed, May 11, 2005 at 11:36:39AM -0400, Erik Hatcher wrote:
> >
> >You don't like how I implemented events before and after listener
> >invocation?
> >
> >  http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAPESTRY-294
>
> To be honest, I had forgotten about your patch.
>
> In your terms my post-listener
> event is fired only if the original listener succeed without thrown
> an exception or if throws Page/RedirectException.  I don't think an
> "after" listener event could be coded in your contribution to do
> that.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The "after" listener event is fired in a finally, so it should be
ok. Perhaps it would be worthwhile catching any exception and passing
it in the event.

Ben

Re: Tapestry's Simplicity Blues

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
On May 11, 2005, at 5:02 PM, Ben Eng wrote:

> On Wed, May 11, 2005 at 11:36:39AM -0400, Erik Hatcher wrote:
>

>> There is not a way to intercept listener method invocations with
>> HiveMind that I know of.  If you know of a way, could you please
>> share?
>>

> You don't like how I implemented events before and after listener
> invocation?
>
>   http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAPESTRY-294

To be honest, I had forgotten about your patch.

Despite being a Tapestry committer, I typically try to solve problems
without modification to the underlying frameworks (although I have
usually ended up under the hood of most of the libraries I use).
I've pasted, below, the hack I've used.

I would prefer if Howard signed off on your approach.  I would think
a more HiveMind-esque technique would be more to the Tapestry 4.0
style.  I have no objections to what you've done.  Though I'm not
sure I'd be able to do what I've done with it, considering the way
Page/RedirectException are handled.  In your terms my post-listener
event is fired only if the original listener succeed without thrown
an exception or if throws Page/RedirectException.  I don't think an
"after" listener event could be coded in your contribution to do
that.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Throwing of an exception for flow control is something we should
probably re-architect though.

     Erik

   public ListenerMap getListeners() {
     final ListenerMap orig =  super.getListeners();
     return new ListenerMap() {

       public IActionListener getListener(String name) {
         final IActionListener origListener = orig.getListener(name);
         return new IActionListener() {

           public void actionTriggered(IComponent component,
IRequestCycle cycle) {
             RuntimeException e = null;
             try {
               origListener.actionTriggered(component, cycle);
             }
             catch (RedirectException re) {
               e = re;
             }
             catch (PageRedirectException pre) {
               e = pre;
             }

             // only Tapestry's two flow control "exceptions" make it
this far, and then are rethrown
             getDataContext().commitChanges();

             if (e != null) throw e;
           }

         };
       }

       public Collection getListenerNames() {
         return orig.getListenerNames();
       }

       public boolean canProvideListener(String name) {
         return orig.canProvideListener(name);
       }
     };
   }

Re: Tapestry's Simplicity Blues

Posted by Ben Eng <be...@jetpen.com>.

Re: IRequestCycle cookie madness

Posted by Michael Echerer <me...@tngtech.com>.
Barry Books wrote:
>  I'm pretty sure that's the case. Perhaps the best way to think of it is setCookie puts a cookie into the response header and getCookie gets one from the request header.

Can confirm this. We use a Tapestry service to produce images. If the
session is new, because the home page creates a session and this page
contains an image using the Tapestry service, the service cannot see the
session as the page and image are requested by the browser
simultanously. Hence the sessionid for the cookie is sent back too late
to be used for the concurrent image service request.
As we try the cache images if session data is unchanged, I had to
implement workarounds for users with cookies vs. url rewriting
(basically checking whether a session is new and cookies are used, "old"
sessions are no problem)

Posted by Barry Books <bf...@mac.com>.

Posted by Eric Schneider <er...@centralparksoftware.com>.
Barry,

Posted by Barry Books <bf...@mac.com>.
>From the way you describe your code you are trying to retrieve the cookie in the same request cycle you set it. The problem is setting the cookie just puts the cookie into the response header. Until the browser makes another request the cookie is not really set. You could either hide this feature by also storing the information in the visit object or throw a page redirect exception which would cause the browser to retrieve a new page with the cookie set.

Barry

Posted by Konstantin Iignatyev <kg...@yahoo.com>.
 >For the sake of discussion, view the Tapestry listener method as the
DAO layer method.  I want to wrap a transaction around that.
 >The question is, how can you wrap this transaction boundary around
Tapestry listener invocations?

Lets assume:
- we have two DAO classes UserDAO and AddressDAO;
- listener method is updateUser( User, Address) method on UserDAO;

1. the trick employs factory pattern, that means that some object
(HiveMind, or CGLib enhancer factory ) has a method
getSingleton( Class clazz );

2. on a page we would have a field like this:
UserDAO udao = (UserDAO ) factory.getSingleton( UserDAO.class);

udao will NOT be instance of UserDAO class but its subclass (in case of
CGLib) or wrapped interface implementation in case of HM;

3. Factory makes sure that every method of original DAO classes is
wrapped in transaction and exception handling logic;

4. At runtime method udao.updateUser( User, Address) will call
AddressDAO like this
updateUser( User, Address){
   AddressDAO adao = (AddressDAO) factory.getSingleton( AddressDAO.class);
   adao.updateAddress( a );
}

 updateAddress( a )  will work within the current transaction because
enhanced logic sees it in ThreadLocal environment, as the other DAO classes.
So, we can invoke multiple methods before transaction commit or rollback.

Note, if we will call adao.updateAddress( a ) directly from another
listener method, then this method WILL start transaction and then finish
it properly.
That is what I call transparent and non-obtrusive

You seem to be too Tapestry focused, try imagine that there is no
T(yet), but just a bunch of JUnit test cases:
my approach is very JUnit friendly - it works just fine and provides
same Transactional context for those bare JUnit tests.
It allows convenient and fast code-compile-test cycles.

Hope it is clearer now.

Erik Hatcher wrote:

> On May 11, 2005, at 12:09 PM, Konstantin Iignatyev wrote:
>
>> Erik Hatcher wrote:
>>

>>> I don't see how it'd be transparent.  What is more transparent  than
>>> a  listener that doesn't have any explicit commits or  rollbacks in
>>> it? In fact, my Tapestry code will have no direct use  of Cayenne's
>>> API if  all goes as planned.
>>>

>> IMO a proxy wrapped POJO is more transparent because it works
>> properly no matter who and why calls its methods. My trick works
>> with the assumption
>> that  transactions starts when a thread enters first DAO layer
>> method and finishes when the thread leaves it. It also correctly
>> propagates the same transaction to all others call of DAO layer if
>> necessary.
>>
>> So, I do not know details of your implementation, but generally
>> speaking if your object has business methods and they invoke DAO
>> layer, then my trick works just fine.
>

> For the sake of discussion, view the Tapestry listener method as the
> DAO layer method.  I want to wrap a transaction around that.
>
> The question is, how can you wrap this transaction boundary around
> Tapestry listener invocations?
>
>>> There is not a way to intercept listener method invocations with
>>> HiveMind that I know of.  If you know of a way, could you please
>>> share?
>>>

>> The trick is to intercept invocations of all or selected methods on
>> certain DAO objects (singletons) no matter who invokes them.
>> That is just a matter of using proper HM interceptor, pretty much
>> like the one I have used to compare performance of AOP
>> http://kgionline.com/articles/aop_1/aop_perf.jsp , scroll down to  HM
>> case.
>>

>> Let me repeat one more time - the trick completely decouples DAO
>> from all its users (UI, batch, WS, etc).
>> Actually all those DAOs become equivalents of Stateless Session
>> Beans where every method is transactional.
>

> And every method invocation is followed by a commit?  I want to be a
> bit less fine grained than that, and make several business method
> calls possibly before a commit occurs.  I assume that is what you do
> with yours, I'm just not clear on that based on what you just said.
>
>> That may or may not work for you, but I certainly discourage
>> explicit transaction management in UI.
>

> I'm definitely working to avoid explicit transaction management, that
> is the crux of my issue here.
>
> My disclaimer is that I've historically avoided the database tier as
> others have been much more skilled and actually enjoyed it more than
> I do - so I'm learning this stuff now because I'm a one-man team on
> my current project.
>
>     Erik

Konstantin Ignatyev

http://www.kgionline.com

PS: If this is a typical day on planet earth, humans will add fifteen million tons of carbon to the atmosphere, destroy 115 square miles of tropical rainforest, create seventy-two miles of desert, eliminate between forty to one hundred species, erode seventy-one million tons of topsoil, add 2.700 tons of CFCs to the stratosphere, and increase their population by 263.000

Bowers, C.A.  The Culture of Denial:
Why the Environmental Movement Needs a Strategy for Reforming Universities and Public Schools.
New York:  State University of New York Press, 1997: (4) (5) (p.206)

Re: Tapestry's Simplicity Blues

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.

Posted by Konstantin Iignatyev <kg...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
On May 11, 2005, at 9:46 AM, Konstantin Iignatyev wrote:

> Erik Hatcher wrote:
>

>> My most recent struggle is with integrating auto-commit (via
>> Cayenne)  for all of my listener methods without them having to
>> explicitly have  a Cayenne dependence and mandating that they
>> individually call the  Cayenne commit API.  IM'ing with Howard a
>> bit, he gave me some tips  on how to hook listener methods.  I
>> opted for the simplest one, by  overriding getListeners() and
>> creating custom IActionListener's  around the ones provided by
>> Tapestry itself.  This worked great,  until I hit a page that
>> throws a RedirectException.  So now I have to  code in the
>> catching of (Page)RedirectException and re-throw it.  I  don't
>> think it is right to use exceptions for flow control.
>>

> Why do not push this responsibility down to DAO layer wrapper?

My "DAO" layer is Cayenne, and I'm accessing my persistent business
objects directly from my Tapestry listener methods.  These business
objects have methods, and aren't just data holders.

I want the transaction to either commit or rollback after a listener
method is done.

Posted by Konstantin Iignatyev <kg...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Michael Henderson <mh...@mac.com>.
Hi,

I've been thinking about Tapestry component suites packaged with
functional service layer objects. Using Spindle and the Palette plugin
in Eclipse I'd like to be able to see users drag components onto pages
that are already tied to application business logic. it won't work for
all cases but there are common features like login, authorization,
account management, catalog, comments, and so  on which I believe could
be packaged this way.

I found this link in my search:

http://opensource.atlassian.com/confluence/spring/display/DISC/
Componentizing+Spring+and+Hibernate+Development

in this case common persistent classes have been packaged into JAR
files for reuse in multiple applications. Layer service objects on top
of something like this, bind Tapestry components to the service objects
and package them up.

Mike

Re: Tapestry's Simplicity Blues

Posted by Jamie <ja...@dang.com>.
If you can get a crud app running in a few minutes with any of those,
I'll be impressed. Two things that are powerful in WO are the GUI tool
(drag and drop your components onto a page, wire a couple of properties)
and the freezer. We really don't have that GUI tool in our Java world.

Posted by Konstantin Iignatyev <kg...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
> Here's a description I found with a quick google.
> http://developer.apple.com/documentation/LegacyTechnologies/WebObjects/WebObjects_5.1/DirectToWeb/WalkThrough/Generating_Components.html
>
> "WebAssistant" is what they call the wizard-ish GUI builder now.  A
> WebAssistant on top of Tapestry would be awesome.

Everything old is new again.  Ruby on Rails meet Direct2Web.  But
also, meet Trails, which is a Rails-like approach based on Tapestry,
Spring and Hibernate.

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Jakarta Tapestry

Re: Tapestry's Simplicity Blues

Posted by Bryan Lewis <br...@maine.rr.com>.
These comments made sense.  The open-source community does spend relatively
little of its resources on the tedious make-it-easy issues.  (With Firefox
being a good counter-example... how did that project manage it?)

Posted by Markus Eberle <Ma...@tngtech.com>.
Zitat von Patrick Casey <pa...@adelphia.net>:

[...]
> But, and here's where .NET and I parted ways, it doesn't have a lot of
> features to make the *hard* stuff simple. Want an abstract object
> persistence layer like Hibernate? So sorry, roll your own, or use a thin
> resultset wrapper like ADO. Want to use lots of generic forms and runtime
> data binding? Sorry, it's a design time framework. Sure you *can* bind at
> runtime, but if you do you can't use any of the cool features that made the
> easy stuff easy.
[...]

I have not done much things using .Net, but there is NHibernate for .Net which
is a "port" of hibernate to .Net. even the Spring framework is ported :-)

But the WYSIWYG feature is quite cool.

So back to tapestry :-)

Cheers,
    Markus

Re: Tapestry's Simplicity Blues

Posted by Bryan Lewis <br...@maine.rr.com>.
The old WebObjects backtracking feature (a similar concept) kept only the
last 30 pages by default.  If the user got too busy with the back button
he'd get an error page "You backtracked too far."

Posted by Pablo Ruggia <pr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Patrick Casey <pa...@adelphia.net>.

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.

On 5/12/05, Karthik Abram <ka...@neovera.com> wrote:

> I've build fairly substantial applications with .NET - and I will have to
> disagree with some of the points below. True, .NET doesn't have a Hibernate
> like persistence layer, but the reality is that while java produced a
> zillion persistence options for the "Enterprise" app, ADO.NET's simple
> in-memory DataTable approach will suffice for 99% of the apps out there.
> That said, .NET 2.0 will change quite a few things ...
>
> The distinction between .NET and Tapestry is this: (a) State persistence in
> the client using the view-state, (b) GUI design tool, components that have a
> distince "design time" and "run time" mode of operation (components have an
> interface that allow it to interact with VS .NET for design time
> manipulation); (c) Thriving commercial component market with some really
> slick components.
>
> Of course the availability of tons of books/literature/websites also makes
> the learning curve a lot easier. That said, Tapestry will run on Linux, .NET
> requires a licensed OS.s

Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Jakarta Tapestry
Creator, Jakarta HiveMind

RE: Tapestry's Simplicity Blues

Posted by Patrick Casey <pa...@adelphia.net>.
<snip>

Posted by Vjeran Marcinko <vj...@tis.hr>.
Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
Vjeran,

[...]

Don't get me wrong, folks.  I love Tapestry and it has made my web
development life more pleasant over the past few years.  Howard is
brilliant and has done a great service for us all with his creative
work.

But I struggle with the complexity of it on a daily basis and it does
get in my way of being as productive as I could.  Any complaints we
have about it should be taken constructively - if we feel
passionately enough about it to take the time to post our
tribulations it means we do care about it.

     Erik