Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by JR...@penntraffic.com on 2007/03/22 18:31:15 UTC

Newbie Question

I take it the recommended tags directories exist dues to the fact that you
don't 'tag' projects in place, like you might have done in CVS?  You do a
copy to another directory, i.e., the tags directory.  What about a project
with generic library dependencies?  Can I create a 'global' (to the
repository) tag, where I could CO all the project and it's subprojects?

Jeffery B. Rancier
Software Engineer, MIS
The Penn Traffic Company
1200 State Fair Boulevard, PO Box 4737
Syracuse NY 13221-4737

Tel (315) 461-2471
Fax (315) 461-2402
jrancier@penntraffic.com Last modified: Fri Mar 09 09:37:42 Eastern
Standard Time 2007

Re: Newbie Question

Posted by Matt Sickler <cr...@gmail.com>.
The book is very descriptive on this:
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.branchmerge.tags.html
And if you are a seasoned CVS user:
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.forcvs.html

On 3/22/07, JRancier@penntraffic.com <JR...@penntraffic.com> wrote:

> I take it the recommended tags directories exist dues to the fact that
>  you don't 'tag' projects in place, like you might have done in CVS?  You do
> a copy to another directory, i.e., the tags directory.  What about a
> project with generic library dependencies?  Can I create a 'global' (to the
> repository) tag, where I could CO all the project and it's subprojects?
>
>  ------------------------------
>
> *Jeffery B. Rancier*
> *Software Engineer, MIS*
> ------------------------------
> *The Penn Traffic Company* <http://www.penntraffic.com/>*
> **1200 State Fair Boulevard, PO Box 4737
> Syracuse NY 13221-4737*<http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?addr=1200+State+Fair+Boulevard&csz=13221&country=us&new=1&name=&qty=>
> *
>
> Tel (315) 461-2471
> Fax (315) 461-2402**
> **jrancier@penntraffic.com* <jr...@penntraffic.com>* *
> ------------------------------
> *Last modified: Fri Mar 09 09:37:42 Eastern Standard Time 2007 *
> ------------------------------

RE: Newbie Question

Posted by Ch...@qimonda.com.
Conceptually, tags and branches are the same for CVS and SVN, though in
SVN implementation, tags=branches, ie, you can do the same things with
tagged code or branched code. For example, you can CO tagged code and
mege to it in SVN, but you can't do this in CVS.

So yes there's no reason why you can't tag a whole project, same way as
you do in CVS.

	jrancier@penntraffic.com <ma...@penntraffic.com>