Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by José Manuel Molina Pascual <ra...@gmail.com> on 2006/09/05 15:34:52 UTC

Low performance with Tomcat APR

Hello, I just installed Tomcat APR on a SUSE 9 and found that the
performance has fallen dramatically (I fact, performance with APR it's
half than without it!!!!).

I followed the instructions of the Tomcat Documentation.

I suppose that this must be some configuration issue.

I'm using Apache APR 1.2.7, OpenSSL 0.9.7d and Tomcat 5.5.17.

Thanks in advance.

--
Peace Sells.......... But Who's Buying?

When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Re: Low performance with Tomcat APR

Posted by José Manuel Molina Pascual <ra...@gmail.com>.
I'm using 2.6

Posted by Andrew Miehs <an...@2sheds.de>.

Re: Low performance with Tomcat APR

Posted by Mladen Turk <ml...@jboss.com>.
José Manuel Molina Pascual wrote:
> Hi, Mladen.
> That's exactly what we expected, about 10% improvement.
>
> We are runnning a cluster of 4 tomcats and we have a stress test batery
> , I'm not sure of how manu concurrent users it simulates, maybe that's
> the point.

Of course it is.
When the concurrency goes over the maxThreads/2 then APR
starts behaving like non-blocking, that might cause degradation
when you have artificial clients like some request bomber.

> I've received new test data, when the tests are launched agaist only
> one tomcat (no cluster) it serves 4100 requests x per sencond, and
> when the four machines are running it only serves 4800!!!!.

Perhaps you have reached maximum network bandwidth.
What is the transfer rate (MB/Sec). For a 100MBps
the maximum theoretical throughput is 12.5 MB/sec.
With 4800 req/sec looks like you have 2.6K test page.
(Of course if this is 100MBps network).
For 1GBps network the troughput is cca. 60 MB/sec.

Regards,
Mladen.

Re: Low performance with Tomcat APR

Posted by José Manuel Molina Pascual <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi, Mladen.

Posted by Mladen Turk <ml...@jboss.com>.
José Manuel Molina Pascual wrote:
> Hello, I just installed Tomcat APR on a SUSE 9 and found that the
> performance has fallen dramatically (I fact, performance with APR it's
> half than without it!!!!).
>
> I followed the instructions of the Tomcat Documentation.

Great.

> I suppose that this must be some configuration issue.

Probably.

Posted by Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com>.
if (your max nr of open connections) < Connector.maxThreads ) then
  the regular connector is better, and will always be as it is using
blocking IO
else
  APR will scale better, as it can keep a larger set of keep alive
connections open
end

Your biggest gain on the APR connector is if you are using Tomcat SSL,
its probably 20 times faster (if not more) than the java blocking connector.
There is a bug in APR SSL handshaking that was fixed recently and is
available in
http://people.apache.org/~fhanik/v5.5.18-beta-1/

Filip