Posted to dev@sis.apache.org by Steven Reynolds <st...@int.com.INVALID> on 2022/11/18 23:27:47 UTC

request an SIS release 1.3

Hi

I would like to request an SIS release 1.3 so that we can get the fix for
the mercator wraparound bug. We'd like to incorporate this fix into OSDU
milestone 15 if possible.

thank you
Steven

--
*Steven Reynolds*

*Senior  Project Manager*

*Office:* +1 (713) 975-7434

steven.reynolds@geotoolkit.net

*INT *| *Empowering Visualization*

Status of SIS 1.3 release candidate

Posted by Martin Desruisseaux <ma...@geomatys.com>.
Hello all

The work on SIS 1.3 release candidate is not yet finished, but it is
close. The reason for the delay is that I try to minimize the risk of
compatibility breaks in future SIS releases regarding the
org.apache.sis.metadata.iso.quality package. That package has been
upgraded from ISO 19115:2003 to 19157:2013 in SIS 1.3 [1][2]. The
following issues needed to be resolved before release for improving API
stability:

  * Unified parameter API [3].
  * Anticipate more changes to come with ISO 19157:2022 [4].
  * Starts migration from Date (Java 1) to temporal objects (Java 8) [5].

The changes in GeoAPI interfaces described by those GitGub issues are
not yet part of any approved GeoAPI releases and may change according
OGC Working Group decisions. Apache SIS implements OGC GeoAPI 3.0.1. But
SIS anticipates proposed evolution by referencing directly the SIS
implementation classes when the GeoAPI interface is not available, and
we try to align those implementation classes as much as possible to what
they may be after an approved OGC GeoAPI 3.1/4.0 release.

     Martin

[1]https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SIS-394
[2]https://github.com/opengeospatial/geoapi/issues/44
[3]https://github.com/opengeospatial/geoapi/issues/74
[4]https://github.com/opengeospatial/geoapi/issues/80
[5]https://github.com/opengeospatial/geoapi/issues/79

Re: request an SIS release 1.3

Posted by Martin Desruisseaux <ma...@geomatys.com>.
Hello Steven

Indeed, it is a good time for a SIS release as it would be about 6
months after last release. I was waiting to synchronize with OSDU
release because OSDU provides extensive testing of coordinate
transformations. I will try to have a release candidate ready in staging
repository this week. The work to do is to finish a merge in progress
about ISO 19157 (data quality), verify if any dependency needs to be
upgraded, verify if javadoc is okay and do some extensive testing. After
Release Candidate 1 (RC1) is in staging repository, the plan is to leave
it there for a time long enough for OSDU release 15 testing. If any
issue is reported, a RC2 will be prepared. If there is no issue, RC1
will become directly the final release.

     Martin