Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org> on 2003/01/10 08:54:24 UTC

Re: Forrest, xmlcatalog

About the Forrest cent:

Nick Chalko wrote:
> I  commented this out earlier because ant doesn't support catlogfiles.
> Anyone know how forrest got this to work
>
> <!--xmlvalidate failonerror="${forrest.validate.xdocs.failonerror}"
> lenient="no" warn="yes">
>      <xmlcatalog>
>        <catalogfiles dir="${forrest.cent.project.schema-dir}">
>          <include name="catalog*"/>
>        </catalogfiles>
>        <catalogfiles dir="${forrest.cent.dir}/context/resources/schema">
>          <include name="catalog" />
>        </catalogfiles>
>      </xmlcatalog>
>      <fileset dir="${forrest.cent.project.xdocs-dir}"
>        includes="${forrest.validate.xdocs.includes}"
>        excludes="${forrest.validate.xdocs.excludes}"/>
>    </xmlvalidate>
>    <echo message="...validated xdocs"/-->

Guys, what about making the cent be built and released by Forrest
instead of Centipede?

And again, (for Centipede) what about making a tools/installed dir that
keeps external installed tools? this way we can have the cent install
Forrest standalone there and just use it from there, so it can work both
standalone and as a cent?

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: Forrest, xmlcatalog

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Nick Chalko wrote:
> Steven Noels wrote:
>
>> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>>
>>> So yes, the cent does not have to have all the stuff in there. The
>>> only thing to do is that if it doesn't find Forrest home it's bale to
>>> download the Forrest distro and install it somewhere.
>>>
>>> Makes sense?
>>
>> Not sure on those Centipedian terms, but I trust your judgement. From
>> what you said, I thought you needed a new target in the Forrest
>> build.xml that creates a .cent, which is fine by me.

Yup.

>> Not sure about
>> this auto-install thing, but you Centipedians know all about that.
>> IIRC however, FORREST_HOME doesn't need to be set for Forrest to work.
>> So testing on that environment variable to check whether Forrest is
>> installed might not be foolproof.
>

> The user will have to set FORREST_HOME or the ant property forrest.home.

For now let's go this way... in case they are not there, we install the
cent downloaded version.

> I don't really like the idea of
> java  --> ant --> import forrest.cent  --> exec --> java --> ant -->
> forrest build.xml --> java --> coocon.
>
> Way to deep.

Actually it's

Import:
java  --> ant --> import forrest.cent

Run:
java  > ant > exec > java > ant > forrest build.xml > java > coocon

This is how Forrest is used by other Ant projects in the build, and it
works quite well. It's the only way I see in which we can decouple
Forrest itself from the calling cent.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: Forrest, xmlcatalog

Posted by Nick Chalko <ni...@chalko.com>.

Re: Forrest, xmlcatalog

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> So yes, the cent does not have to have all the stuff in there. The only
> thing to do is that if it doesn't find Forrest home it's bale to
> download the Forrest distro and install it somewhere.
>
> Makes sense?

Not sure on those Centipedian terms, but I trust your judgement. From
what you said, I thought you needed a new target in the Forrest
build.xml that creates a .cent, which is fine by me. Not sure about this

stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: Forrest, xmlcatalog

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Steven Noels wrote:
> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>> Guys, what about making the cent be built and released by Forrest
>> instead of Centipede?
>
> if that makes life of the Centipede developers easier: +1
>
> I wouldn't 'release' it in .cent form from a.o/dist/... however, just
> include a cent target in our build that can be invoked by the
> Centipedians, like webapp, run, shbat etc...

But since a cent is installed automatically, we want Forrest to be
installed automatically too in the process.

Re: Forrest, xmlcatalog

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Jan 10, 2003 at 09:01:27AM +0100, Steven Noels wrote:
> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
> >Guys, what about making the cent be built and released by Forrest
> >instead of Centipede?
>
> if that makes life of the Centipede developers easier: +1

Same here.

--Jeff

Re: Forrest, xmlcatalog

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.

stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: Forrest, xmlcatalog

Posted by Nick Chalko <ni...@chalko.com>.
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Guys, what about making the cent be built and released by Forrest
> instead of Centipede?
>
> And again, (for Centipede) what about making a tools/installed dir
> that keeps external installed tools? this way we can have the cent
> install Forrest standalone there and just use it from there, so it can
> work both standalone and as a cent?

Centipede could redo it's cent as a "wrapper"  test for an installed
forrest.  if not install. and then exec forrest.

We would need to keep our "move the other cents xdocs" step.

However It seems like a nasty hack.