Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Andrew Vardeman <an...@iastate.edu> on 2002/05/31 17:44:20 UTC

Re: RES: AW: How do you pass an XML document between Axis and .Net Cl ient?

Well, following the model folks are suggesting for sending XML documents
via RPC, you could XML-encode the .VRML and send it as a string. If you
really wanted to, you could Base64-encode the JPG and do the same
thing.  That would be kinda silly though, since the SOAP spec allows MIME
attachments to be sent following the SOAP Envelope.  Inside the SOAP
Envelope, you reference the file that's included as a MIME
attachment.  According to the User's Guide, Axis has preliminary support
for SOAP With Attachments.  See the attachments/ directory in the Axis samples.

Andrew

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@iseran.com>.
> Well, following the model folks are suggesting for sending XML documents
> via RPC, you could XML-encode the .VRML and send it as a string. If you
> really wanted to, you could Base64-encode the JPG and do the same
> thing.  That would be kinda silly though, since the SOAP spec allows MIME
> attachments to be sent following the SOAP Envelope.  Inside the SOAP
> Envelope, you reference the file that's included as a MIME
> attachment.  According to the User's Guide, Axis has preliminary support
> for SOAP With Attachments.  See the attachments/ directory in the Axis
samples.

Trouble with SwA is that not all other implementations handle it,
specifically .NET, so if you want true interop its our friend base-64,
making XML based protocols even less efficient than they are already.